JR (Gumby)

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Gumby

JR (Gumby)

Post by Gumby »

Been on here for a while reading everything i can, thought it was time to log my build progress.

I am from the same area as Goz (Not for long.... Lucky bastard) and Climberman. Was put on to this site by a thread Goz started on another site.

Decided to make a pneumatic press straight out the gate. My press is made of RSJ.

I have used bought heat blankets with total output at 2.2kw ea, each is controlled by a sestos PID controller.

My moulds are non adjustable and made solid from laminated MDF, all are CNC cut by a friend.

I will be using Sicomin SR8500/8525 but for my first few presses I have used Super Sap.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

My first set of skis was a Female twin DIMS: 168 112-83-110, 7mm camber with the slightest of early rise in tip and tail (2mm over 120mm)

Core was bamboo with no tip spacers, I used seperate bamboo sidewalls.

Top sheet was white nylon subbed by Miller Studio

757GSM Triax Top/bottom

185GSM Carbon top/bottom (No recess for edges)

Full Edge wrap, first ski was a PITA, then seen Goz idea for edge bending and the second ski was less stressful.

Layup was really smooth 42 min and other than my heart trying to leap from my chest everything went well.

Issues on this press, my edges I can improve especially my first ski.
Edge tines showed through, disappeared after a grind and wax but i think ill rabet next time.

Mounted skis with a set of Axium 120s and they look sweet.

gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Looking good bud ;-)
Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Thanks Goz, next step is the pressure chamber for Urethane sidewalls. I still have a couple cores that i need to press with wood sidewalls so this week I think is a big week for me.
climberman

Post by climberman »

Nice to see you on board.

Sticks look great.

Is your CNC mate likely to be interested in a one-off for someone else?

Goz gave me a contact but after a few calls I've not been able to get a call back… Can't give away $$ these days it seems sometimes!
Gumby

Post by Gumby »

climberman wrote:Nice to see you on board.

Sticks look great.

Goz gave me a contact but after a few calls I've not been able to get a call back… Can't give away $$ these days it seems sometimes!
Get your design on flash drive mate, drop it past work and ill pass it on to him.
climberman

Post by climberman »

Gumby wrote:
climberman wrote:Nice to see you on board.

Sticks look great.

Get your design on flash drive mate, drop it past work and ill pass it on to him.
Cheers.

Will arrange!
Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Pick this up on Saturday..... For the amazing price of a case of beer. Has been well maintained.

chrismp

Post by chrismp »

That is awesome! :D
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Is that for printing your own topsheets?
If so you could sell quite a few even just in Aus.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Looks nearly close enough to print the designs sideways :)
the.quass

Post by the.quass »

holy huge plotter BATMAN!

Yeah, if you are going to be printing topsheets... TAKE MY MONEY!
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

If you want to start sublimating, definitely get quality inks such as J-Teck J-Next or Sawgrass Subli-M! I've had my share of headaches with the cheap chinese inks.

You need to have this thing print a test page every day when it's not in use to keep the nozzles going. You can either write a script to have it do so or buy a copy of Printer Jockey.

A few drops of cleaning liquid (make sure you get one from your ink supplier that suits your inks!) on the capping station once a week also helps to keep the nozzles clear.
Gumby

Post by Gumby »

It is a monster for sure.

I am looking at using Sawgrass inks Chrismp. So excited to get the thing home and have a play with it.
Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Christmas Eve was spent laying up a board, 157, Roc/Cam/Roc/Cam/Roc, bamboo core with bamboo sidewalls. Issues I had with this build, I used a different supply of carbon fiber and didn't compensate enough with my core. Board is a lot stiffer than I wanted. Other than that layup was so much smoother. Didn't feel like my heart was going to jump out of my mouth this time.

Sublimation was by Miller, there work is amazing. A little hard to get in contact with but other than that fantastic guys. This will be my last sublimation work by others as I have just bout got my sub process down.