Profiling Issue

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

infinityskis

Profiling Issue

Post by infinityskis »

Image[/img]

How do I fix this issue?? Should I put wood putty in it or maybe fiberglass?? Or should I just make another core??
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

It ruins the flex because it acts as a hinge point for the flex of the ski, so it doesnnt flex smoothly anymore.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Wood putty? I sure wouldn't want a hard, heavy slab of putty in my core. You could glue a veneer piece in there and would probably be ok but the best way is obviously a new core.
How did it happen?
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

Ya I think I will try to get a piece of wood to try to fit it...but ya my router kinda slipped on the bridge and I forgot to lock the up and down movement
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Fuct
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
nistler

Post by nistler »

infinityskis wrote:Ya I think I will try to get a piece of wood to try to fit it...but ya my router kinda slipped on the bridge and I forgot to lock the up and down movement
You got lucky, Same exact thing happened to me but my router went all the way through the wood and ruined it.
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

You ought to take a step back and make a better router bridge setup, obviously it's not up for the job. I wouldn't use that core, I would start fresh - but if you don't improve the router setup you're just banking on good luck to have a core turn out at all.

That just looks bad everywhere, doesn't look like one specific spot things went bad. Could have stopped much sooner and maybe saved it, but hindsight is always 20/20, right? In a bad bad pinch, could you belt sand the entire thing flat/smooth? You'll be losing stiffness with reduced thickness of course.

Wood putty has no place inside a ski/snowboard.
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

Ya my router bridge was pretty bad and my next core was way better because I fixed the issue. However I don't have enough material to start a new core. so how do I fix that?? Fiberglass? Veneer?
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

(I just posted in your journal thread).
There's no fixing here. You gotta get more material and make a new core, otherwise you're wasting your other materials.

If this was an easy/frustration-free hobby, everybody would be doing it :) We've all been in your shoes.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

twizzstyle wrote:(I just posted in your journal thread).
There's no fixing here. You gotta get more material and make a new core, otherwise you're wasting your other materials.

If this was an easy/frustration-free hobby, everybody would be doing it :) We've all been in your shoes.
^^^ Best to make a new core otherwise you'll be wasting the FG, epoxy, time, etc. Yup, we've all been there and it sucks :?
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

Fixed !! it flexes normally and now I just gotta belt sand it !!

Image[/img]

Image[/img]
sammer

Post by sammer »

Seriously?

I wouldn't waste my time with that.
You're just throwing away good money after bad.
It's gonna cost you $10-15 to make a new core, plus an hour labour.

I mean it's your money and if you want to throw it away that's up to you.

You could always just send your money to me. I could find a good use for it.
I'll send you my email, paypal is fine ;)

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
infinityskis

Post by infinityskis »

hahahahaha I knew someone would say that, but it will look much better with a good belt sand. Also I don't have enough sidewall for another ski and sidewall is very expensive. So Im gonna belt sand em and work to get the flex identical.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

I would rip that sidewall off and burn the wood, as not to waste it. Then id have a little cry around the fire about wasting the sidewall ;)

I've patched up some sceptical f&$k ups, but that's ridiculous. I'd toss it out just because of the chew marks, not to mention the huge chunk ripped out.

As taught in anger management though, I'll close with a positive remark....

At least it's under the binding area .....hahahhaha
Last edited by Dtrain on Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

Ps....those ski cores look about 6mm thick