Puzzle Skis

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

pmg

Post by pmg »

Unpacking the skis, the left one iw unpacked already (the protection film removed)
pmg

Post by pmg »

A look at the camber/rocker profile. The ski got way more camber than intended, but thats because I used a faster curing resin for the top part of the ski. Just didn't want to wait so damn long twice (I press the resin I used for the lower part 5 hours at least, very slow curing) as it was a test ski anyway. I am happy all tests succeeded.
And I will switch to a new resin anyway with 2 different hardeners that can be mixed - so I can alter the curing time by different mixing.

Ok, back to the profile: Each ski has 11mm camber, so they will rock on piste if they are not too poppy, but probably wont perform too well off piste. But the rocker they still have will help. Will see tomorrow, icy as **** in the morning, then getting soft and eventually very soft.

skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Nice job! The first time I used cloth as a top sheet I was a little disappointed, the colors were a bit muted. Live and learn. I've switch to wood veneers but when I see a cool fabric I think, "Wow,that would make a cool ski!". Just have to be sure to use something underneath the fabric to make sure the colors will stay fresh. Excellent work!
pmg

Post by pmg »

@skidesmond:

The design cloth is not the topsheet, there is a 0.5mm thick plastic topsheet on top - without that the cap construction wouldn't live long enough.

Am curious how that topsheet performs - on all the rental skis I have seen in the store I work in there was not a single cap ski where someone managed to chop through it. Hope mine is the same quality as the industry ones.