Quality heat blankets found/cheap!!!!

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Sub temps are 300-400f. So no 2000 watts will nit get you there. It will be a giant heat sink so it will loose heat faster than you can get to temp unless its super insulated and once under preasure it heat sinks as well and 2kw wont keep temp even if you get it there. I dont think you will be able to sub at 110v you just need more amerage.
This is entirely my opinion and not based in fact.
nrgboards

Post by nrgboards »

You can sublimate with a 110v blanket and you don't have to get temp up to 300-400 degrees I sublimate at 285degrees and come out with really good resultsImage
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

I use a 2200w blanket in a well insulated vacuum press for sublimation at about 320F. It gets to temp within 30min and holds it pretty well.
skiology90

Post by skiology90 »

Hi all,
Long time lurker, first post.

I've been pricing out heating mats and was pretty happy to come across this thread after recently being quoted ~$450 for a 400mm x 2000mm 4kw 220v mat by MEI. It sounds like the Alibaba mats are decent quality, but I suppose time will tell. Anyone have additional thoughts about quality that haven't already been mentioned above?

Alibaba quoted me ~$145 for a 400 x 2000 4kw 220v and 0.06'' thick (single-ply). For another $20 I can get that in 0.12'' thick (double ply), which I presume is more durable...? Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Not sure on thickness but my chinese one is exactly like my mei one. Looks like 2 ply. You dont want crimping so thicker would be more durable.
casmat

Post by casmat »

hey all :D
keeping in theme..
is it better a heat blanket with a incorporated termostat?
and if it is ..I only need the controller to switch on and off both heater at the same time?
mikic1

Post by mikic1 »

as far as I know people have had prolems with built in thermostats, the blankets would burn due to malfunction. I think majority have external sensors. I had 2 blankets, 2 sensors, and only used one controler to regulate the temperature,. the other sensor I used for monitoring. It worked very well.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

2 channel controller (w. 2 sensors & relays) is a good idea ... if you have different heat sink top/bottom it ensures a nice balanced heatup (gray theory, only from my experience in other applications)
Tom
skiology90

Post by skiology90 »

MontuckyMadman wrote:Not sure on thickness but my chinese one is exactly like my mei one. Looks like 2 ply. You dont want crimping so thicker would be more durable.
Thanks. sounds like its worth the $20.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Has anybody tried the etched foil yet?
I've asked for a quote on both types but if they are similar I'm not sure which to get.
Maybe I should just stick to what is tried and tested eh.
:)
The guys who have ordered the double ply, how easy do the mats feel to compress?
0.12" is a lot thicker than my home made mats and I would hate to think the new ones would have enough give to make it easier to get a convex/concave base.
falls

Post by falls »

I got a quote on the etched foil type in a large size (15 inch by 80 inches) and the price was very high. Maybe $800 or something
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

I think etch foil makes only sense if you do more then 1 or 2. Then its cheaper and more consistent (from the layup) compared to the wired ones.
Tom
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Btw. anyone using a 380V version (europe)? I wonder if these are 1 phase only or 2 / 3 phase (meaning 2 or 3 wire loops inside the mat).
Tom
Lerio

Post by Lerio »

I all.
Need advice. I have to order my first 2 heat blankets, my power limit is about 2600W so I wonder if a 2100mm*400mm blanket can reach 90°C with 1300W in a reasonable amount of time.
Thanks
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

In theory, yes, if it is insulated well enough. It all depends on the environment of the blanket. For example if the blanket is in direct contact with an aluminum cattrack (=big heat sink) it might not reach the desired temp or take much longer than with a wooden cattrack which conducts less heat.