Ski press - perfectly flat surface

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

I think it's a bad idea to use concrete. Even not shrinking concrete actually shrinks.
epoxy imo much better option. It doesn't have to be expensive ski making the epoxy. Epoxy for flooring will work and relatively inexpensive
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
pavelbozak

Post by pavelbozak »

thanks for suggestions. I was also thinking about flooring epoxy resin but it is very expensive in here. The strength of flooring epoxy against pressure is 21 MPa cca. My cemment concreet is 25 MPa and the price is absolutely different - much much cheaper for me. I want to use layer cca 15 mm. I do not think it will shrink if well proceeded. I am very fancy about the result, will post it soon :)

If bad, I will remove it and will try to get 10-15 mm thick metal plate...
pavelbozak

Post by pavelbozak »

Hi all there. I finally fixed the leveling with regular concrete. I made rails along the whole surface and spread the concrete bwtween this rails. I set the rails exactly with leveling device (geodets use it).

then I placed two 3 mm iron plates over that concrete and then two MDF plates (21 mm) over that iron plates.

When I measured the surface it is nicely flat in all axis... I have pressed few pairs with no issues on the construction flatness.

Conclusion is - it was quite easy, quite cheap and it works fine.

I will add some photos. Also I will post some other things I realized this season. Especially some diseasters about using thicker base and edges (heat/cold affecting camber after ski is built and finished) and more. :)