Planer bridge

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mammuth

Planer bridge

Post by mammuth »

After our big planner dded up the 3rd core i will try to go one step back and try a planer bridge setup.

Problem with the big machine was that in the middle of one half side (like between tip and binding) the core was always getting to thin. I reinforced the core crib to avoid a bend in the lower mdf, but unfortunately this wasnt the problem. I assume the infeed and outfeed rolls are spaced too far and the 4blade cutter head roll was lifting the core in between.

Anyways back to my Q. I did find somewhere here a pic of a planer bridge setup which i like to try. I will weld a nice front mount to fit the hand planer, heres no problem.
But i really dont know if and why it should be necessary to do a second mount on the back, like in the pic.

Do i overlook something?
Last edited by mammuth on Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
falls

Post by falls »

I think I would seriously consider using a router on the bridge or buying a smaller planer.
I think the second support is to stop the planer rocking backwards. I suppose you use the inbuilt adjustment in the hand planer to adjust depth? But having only one support might act as a lever point.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Why you would prefer a router over this solution?
Tom
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

And yes, you use the depth setting of the planer like normal. The bar will be set up on 0mm height, so when you reach the height of the profile jigs the planer will be lifted and stops planing. So far the theory goes ;)

On the back you ride on the planer sole, thats why im unsure if the rear bar is needed. Maybe its just needed if you plan precut cores like on the pic to avoid getting the tip and/or tail too thin. On a longer uncut core i dont see a problem.

Well in a few hours i will know. Need to finish two cores this WE, so no possibility to get another smaller planer (except one with dull blades).
Tom
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

That will work, without the rear support the tail of the planer will get stuck on the mess the planer leaves behind.
I used a similar set up before I bought my drum sander.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Another thing, dont cut your core ends to shape like that until you have profiled it or you open yourself up to catastrophic blow outs
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Also also lol you can add packing boards under the core to remove more thickness than the plunge depth of the planer if you need to.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

My raw cores are 20cm longer then the final core front and rear (to avoid snipe on the planer), so i think there will be no problem.

Still dont know about the rear support ... the "get stuck on the mess" doesnt compute in my brain ;) If you use the hand planer like its intended to use, you always ride on the rear shoe of the planer. The crossbar in front should work like the original front deepness setting, no? If the core is higher then the jig you remove as much material as the deepness setting of the planer is set. If you come closer the jig will lift the front planer till 0, similar like when you decrease the planing depth setting gradually to 0.

My front bar will have a 3 point attachment to the planer. One screw on each side, close to the blade roll, there will also be the crossbar so the tilting point is close to the cutter head. And one screw attachment on the front, so it should stay secure.

In contrast to the posted pic above this should avoid any side tilting action of the planer (the one on the pic has just one screw in front, maybe that was the reason for the 2nd bar on the rear).

I will try to make the front crossbar as sturdy as possible to avoid deflection, my cores are around 25cm wide. So i have to do 3 parallel passes at minimum to cover the full core. Hope it turns out ok. In theory it should give a decent result if the crossbar doesnt deflect. In theory we trust :)

Going to weld that stuff up now so soon i will be happy .... or depressed ;)
Tom
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

For a single bar method to work the bar must be centre of the cutter IMO, that's how mine was. The 2 bar method removes the need to be centre of cutter but you will lose some detail in the process, no big deal if your profile has long transitions though
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Domo arigato!
Tom
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Hai :D

If you are handy with the mig or tig make up an offset bracket, then probably a bit of a truss over the top to eliminate flex and you should be good to go, smashing out cores in a few minutes.

______¡·····¡______ like this ;)
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

This i did today :)

Was little bit pita to get everything straight but now im happy and have no deflection.

Will try it and post pic tomorrow.
Tom
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Sweet man, can't wait to see it.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

mammuth wrote:The bar will be set up on 0mm height, so when you reach the height of the profile jigs the planer will be lifted and stops planing. So far the theory goes ;)
... and this was a logic error. Found out after finished with welding :(
Some loud %$/§%$$ words and smacking on my head didnt solve it. But after a few more cuts and welds it was ok.

So correction: the bar needs to be set up at max. planer depth! Or more. This distance must be added to the jig (core thickness + bar distance = jig height).
Tom
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

So first tests suceeded. Im quite stoked, working much better then expected. Did 2 offset passes on the test wood, no step between the passes.

And its very quick, did full 2mm depth passes. Will have to reduce that on the real core with abs, but it seems much quicker then with a router

Dont judge the welding, mig was little bit to big, me too tired and i had to cut off and reweld the stuff twice ;)

Finally tribute to gozaimaas ;) Wouldnt do it on a real core, but it worked. Did go down on "tip" and "tail" to 0 / 0,3mm. Maybe i should build a micro board out of the test core :)

Need to get some mdf to build a bigger vacuum table tomorrow morning. Mine is just for size of ski, not for a 250cm raw core.
Last edited by mammuth on Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom