Planer bridge

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

falls

Post by falls »

Well done. Good to see success. I haven't ever felt my hand planer was very powerful to be doing this. Maybe using bamboo is tougher but I think gozaimas has used bamboo too. Anyway looks like it will be quicker than a router on the bridge.
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Sweet!
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Ist superquick and i think you dont have to sand after which imho is necessary with a router.

Will see how it works with the abs. Not sure if i will rebate before or after profiling. Did one core on the big planer with rebate and the abs got damaged where it was thinner then 3mm.

Start and end the core must be longer, this parts get easily damaged while working.

So i have to find a solution for the jig, cutting out manually is not the way to go, long term. I have a idea in mind for adjustable jig, will try this after ski season. If this works i think you can shape a new profile quicker then changing the planer crib, gluing the core to the crib (abs!) and use the big planer (where you need 2 people with a big crib like mine).

Will post pics with finished (or destroyed) cores tomorrow
Tom
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Definately rough up the core with sandpaper to aid bonding. I rebate after the core is profiled with a laminate trimmer.

My old planer crib worked in reverse to yours, the edges that the planer jig run on were flat and the profile was adjustable via the lower bed.
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

Ghetto sketch
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Regarding the sanding. I did read somewhere (here?) that a core out of the planer is better for bonding then a sanded one. Had something to do with clean cut fibres vs. more closed structure when sanded.
Tom
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

With this type of crib you need a roller to push down the core, no?

With hand planer you have to push it down?

I planned the other way round because i had troubles with the crib (which worked same way like yours) and planer.

But you bring me to an idea! Instead of cutting the rails i can reuse my crib and just bolt straight pieces to the sides. Will check that out, would save a lot of hassle.

Here you can see my crib setup: http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... img][/img]
Tom
gozaimaas

Post by gozaimaas »

That's exactly how I did mine, just added sides to my profiling bed.
I used screws to hold the top plate to the bottom plate and a few strategic screws out in the flash in the middle of the core to hold it down.
Dr. Delam

Post by Dr. Delam »

mammuth wrote:Regarding the sanding. I did read somewhere (here?) that a core out of the planer is better for bonding then a sanded one. Had something to do with clean cut fibres vs. more closed structure when sanded.

http://www.cedengineering.com/upload/Ad ... terial.pdf

Page 5
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Doc, thanks this was the Article i did read!

Sometimes its good to sleep over a problem, will rebuild my crib for my hand planer setup with vacuum. Think it will work. Pics will come later.
Tom
silljer

Post by silljer »

there is so many smart people in this forum. we could form together and rule the world. mwahahahahah

but seriously as a chem eng you guys blow my mind sometimes
Dtrain

Post by Dtrain »

You building up is sask?
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Tom
SHIF

Post by SHIF »

This is a great article, thanks for the link Dr D.

-S
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

HPVC 1 is born .. HandPlanerVacuumCrib ;)
Last edited by mammuth on Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom