Base grinding

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gav wa

Post by gav wa »

As I live about 4000km from the nearest snow or snowsports shop I had to figure out some way of doing my own grinds. Obviously not too many base grinding machines come up for sale here either.
So I made a big (250mm) drum to fit on an old wood lathe I bought for $50 from a local school having an auction on some old equipment. The lathe ended up being in great condition.
So far I've only ground 5 boards with it, but they have all come out pretty good.
It's obviously not nearly as fast as a proper grinder, but the results are pretty good and the boards have all performed well, and are definitely quick on the snow. Though I have noticed the first wax job doesn't last very long. The second wax job lasts what you normally expect from a good hot wax.
[/img]

The photo was taken after a bit of hard grinding and the sanding cloth was due to be changed but you get the idea.

I had to make a new top pulley for it to slow it down.

I use 50mm wide sanding belt wrapped from one end of the drum to the other with some clips I made at each end.

All up it cost me $60 to make and I get 8 lengths of sanding belt from a $30 roll.

I'm happy with it for now, but if any of you guys want to swap your grinding machine for it I'm open to offers 8) 8)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Ingenious. Keep a spray bottle handy, no doubt the water will fly everywhere but it helps in the grinding process.
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

yeah I have a 2 litre pump bottle that I use for now. Going to put it on a proper frame with some marine ply each side of the barrel and maybe a little coolant mister underneath.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

that thing'll rip your arms out the sockets quicker than Chewbacca when he loses!

I'd highly suggest you construct some kind of frame around that sand wheel, or the whole thing even. To keep from getting pulled in.
Doug
RYM Experimentals

Post by RYM Experimentals »

I agree, that thing scares the hell out of me! Please be careful.
www.rymexp.com
On the edge of control is a good place to be!
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Meh u guys r pussies. Its 100f down ther all the time, hes not wearing any cloths most the time. .. sh it is badass.
RYM Experimentals

Post by RYM Experimentals »

Well hell if he's naked then all safety precautions have been accounted for. Grind away!
www.rymexp.com
On the edge of control is a good place to be!
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

build an autofeed for it then. :)
Doug
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Autofeed?? HAHA, imagine that, a $60 home built grinder with autofeed :D

It does look a bit dodgy in that photo but it actually is fairly safe. It has only flicked me off a couple of times and I know where to be careful now
I was thinking about building flat boards either side of the wheel with only about 2 inches of wheel sitting above it then it'd be pretty hard for it to grab anything. Plus I was thinking it might even make for a better grind job.
I then want to add an angle support so I can stand boards up on their edge and grind the sidewall angle on it too.

Thank you all for the concern of my safety though. It doesn't go unappreciated.

Montucky - my girlfriend does have a photo on her phone if me waxing a board in just my underwear once, I don't remember why I wasn't wearing much at the time, but a bit of hot wax in the wrong spot could be nasty too.
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

at the very least: tuck in your shirt, belt, tie your sweatpants whatever,

if you have long hair, wear a hairnet, don't have anything loose hanging over that thing. So awesome. I've got some ideas now
Doug
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

gav wa wrote:Autofeed?? HAHA, imagine that, a $60 home built grinder with autofeed :D
I made an autofeed for my grinder for about $50. It's not that hard! (but my grinder is not home built)