Perforated metal - $$$$

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Perforated metal - $$$$

Post by skidesmond »

I had as an R+D project to test perforated AL or Stainless Steel in a layup to see how well it would bond and for damping (ie in place of titanal). My plan was to abrade it, clean it and then make a test layup and then begin testing it to see what it would take to delam it.

I got a quote for 2 sheets of stainless steel 6in x 72in 22gauge thickness (about .8mm). Shipping weight is 5lbs!! So that's a non-starter! Cost $534.66!!

Stainless Steel: $373.32
Freight: $138.00
Sales Tax: $23.34
Total: $534.66

Project is over before it got started.

I may request a price for AL and Steel. But I don't think steel will offer the same qualities as I'm looking for in a high grade AL. And I'm not sure the AL the company offers is a good match either. Company is called McNichols. They have tons of other metals, decorative metals, grates, tubing, etc.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I think CDW makes this product. I've seen it in their product brochures. I've emailed them before but never got a response.

Check their web site.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

What, you're too good to spend 3 weeks on a drill press? :)
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

LOL! 3 weeks sounds about right. I'll check out CDW. The annoying thing about McNichols is there is no pricing in their catalog, printed or online. Everything is a quote that is emailed to you.
vinman

Post by vinman »

I just checked the cdw brochures and couldn't find it. They used toilet a perforated steel strip in their ski products brochure. Maybe they still have it but don't list it. Might have to email them again.
Dream

Post by Dream »

I get steel and aluminum from the local sheet metal fabrication guys. Maybe you have tried before but if you can find an HVAC outfit, they usually have a bunch of scrap that would be great for test layups.

I have been using little 24 gauge steel plates for binding retention in my layups as of late. I get it in scrap from my guys and cut it with snips.

Last time I got some metal, I saw some of what you're looking for in their scrap pile - perforated steel sheet stock. They told me the holes (perforations) come in 3 different diameters. I thought about putting some in some skis just like you are thinking. Good luck!
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

vinman wrote:They used toilet a perforated steel strip in their ski products brochure.
Unfortunate autocorrect :D
vinman

Post by vinman »

^^ha! Flippin autocorrect!

I emailed Mark at CDW to see if they still stock that stuff. I'll report back if I get a response.