Vacuum Pump advice

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Jon Quarrie

Vacuum Pump advice

Post by Jon Quarrie »

I've used a HVAC engineers pump to build a board and had good results. Unfortunately I don't have access to that pump anymore so I'm looking at purchasing my own. Can anyone offer any advice on what they've used, I'm particularly confused when comparing pumps and the ultimate vacuum they offer..
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

With regards to vacuum, you can't get more vacuum than -1 atmosphere for pressing things.

I use a Thomas 2660 pump that I picked up on e-bay, for about €60, and reconditioned for another €60. Save the trouble and get a reconditioned one. Here in Europe you can pick them up for about €120.

They have the advantage that they don't need to be filled with oil, are relatively quiet, and can run for days on end without any problems. Absolute ideal for vacuum pressing.

Where are you located. If you are here in Europe, I can recommend a handler that reconditions and sells the pumps.
Jon Quarrie

Post by Jon Quarrie »

I'm located in BC Canada...
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

Jon Quarrie wrote:I'm located in BC Canada...
Hmm, that might be a bit far for a German handler.

You need something like this.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Thomas-2660CE35- ... 25ae7d2699
But you have to find out how much vacuum it pulls.
I bought an un-reconditioned one, and it only pulled -0.6 of an atmosphere, which was not enough.
I managed to get hold of a recondition kit, which increased the vacuum to -0.94
The advantage of these pumps, is they are designed to run for months or years on end without being turned off or maintained.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Agree with the Thomas 26XX pumps, they are made for 24/7 service, so some hours of pressing dont really stress them.
RYM Experimentals

Post by RYM Experimentals »

Ill probably get trashed for this post but here goes.... Ive found its not so much about the pump power but rather the seal, I use a cheap 2 stage from Harbor Freight and have pressed probably 40 decks on the thing and still keeps going. I get 29 in/hg out of it and I use an aluminum sheet on the bottom to press against.

And I haven't had a delam since I switched to this pump. I run mine for about 2-4 hours with heat or for about 8 hours if I'm not using heat. Let it cure for at least 2 days in an area over 65 degrees before trimming it out. Ive had snowskates pop out in as little as 45 minutes with a heat blanket and lamps.

My current deck I'm riding has over 30 days on it with no issues so far (now Ive probably cursed myself, my pump will go down and my deck will delam) oh well so be it, we'll make more.

I do like the Thomas pump though, might have to get one of those.
www.rymexp.com
On the edge of control is a good place to be!
Jon Quarrie

Post by Jon Quarrie »

Thanks for the advice, one more question. If I do buy the Thomas and need to recondition it how difficult a process is it?
Jon Quarrie

Post by Jon Quarrie »

Thanks for the advice, one more question. If I do buy the Thomas and need to recondition it how difficult a process is it?
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

Jon Quarrie wrote:Thanks for the advice, one more question. If I do buy the Thomas and need to recondition it how difficult a process is it?
It's not too difficult. Though I messed up with mine. If you can get a reconditioned pump go for it.

I had problems getting the screws open as they were so tight. I later heard that heat can help with this.

You replace the reed valves. Easy but fiddly as they are so small and want to turn with the screw when you tighten it.

Replace the cylinder wall. Easy it is just a piece of pipe.

replace the head seals. easy.

Replace the cylinder ring seals. A bit difficult as they are very stiff.

I made 2 mistakes.
firstly when screwing the cylinder head back on, I over tightned and broke a screw off.

The worst mistake was that I put the cylinder head on and didn't get it on correctly alligned. So when the pump was running it was hitting the top of the cylinder . This resulted in my cylinder head exploding one day. :-(

Luckily the handler replaced only the parts I needed for a good price.
If I had to do it again it wouldn't be a problem... but I learnt from my mistakes.
heke

Post by heke »

Any one use this type? Have you build some type of exhaust pipe to prevent oil moisture coming out? I was thinking to install a strait pipe app. 30 cm / 1 ft and install tractor petrol filter on top?

I have also a vacuum pump from frigerator but it heats up quit a lot when running 12 h. The is also some oil moisture but not so much.

The first type seems to be more effective. But I got good result with both.
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

As I have mentioned above, I can recommend the Thomas pumps. I'm not a big fan of the pumps where you have to use oil... but I have to admit, I haven't used one.
Read my comments above.
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
chrislandy

Post by chrislandy »

heke, that's similar to the pump I have.

Overall I would consider them OK, I have run it continuously for 24hrs without issue. You can tell if you get a leak as the pump tone changes. It is quite quiet when running, mine came with a thick foam mat for noise isolation which helped considerably.

You do get a little oil in the air though, I've also had projectile oil out of the vent when I think a bag catastrophically failed - I wasn't there when it happened by with the cleanup it must has been rather spectacular! That has only happened once in the last 5 years though so I consider that as an anomaly.

I get good vacuum with it, nigh on full vacuum, much higher vacuum than when I tried the compressor driven vacuum unit before that.
heke

Post by heke »

I bought this Thomas pump today. I guess & hope that it is better than the old one. At least the price was not bad. Should be able to pump to -0.97bar. I did not like the using the oil pump as it made me nervous that the pump would run out of oil and quit working.
As this Thomas is design to run 24/7 I will not use heat when laminate but do it on room temperature, i think that it might help to have better base of ski. The epoxy I have works well with this temperature.
sammer

Post by sammer »

heke,
Although I use a pump similar to that one, I would look for an oil-less pump for ski building.

Even if you can't see the oil mist coming from the exhaust it's there.
And if you're using it inside the shop it will slowly contaminate anything that is in there.

I run my pump outside with a long hose into the shop.
After 8-10hrs there is a noticable oil mist buildup on the board it sits on.
You can run an exhaust pipe but it will cause some back pressure and affect your ultimate vacuum.
The oil will slowly fill and block the exhaust, then you will have no vacuum. (ask me how I know 8) )

Also vacuum pump oil is quite expensive and you should change it every time to maintain your pump life. This cost really adds up.

sam

I see you type faster than me!!!
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
heke

Post by heke »

Sammer, this oil mist was one reason I don't like the pump. I know one shop in my country where I can get the oil. And the best part, I sold the oil pump today with same price what I paid for the oil free pump..👍