How many Sublim Colors?

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

mammuth

How many Sublim Colors?

Post by mammuth »

I have two possibilites for sublim:

4 color ink CMYK via RIP

7 color ink C LC M LM Y B LB

(on a epson 7600)

How many colors do you guys use for sublimation? As many as your printer allows or just the reduced set?
Tom
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

It's often a question of what inks you can get. Many sublimation inks are only made in CMYK which forces you to use a RIP on many printers. We have an Epson 4880 and were lucky to find a manufacturer that has all colors for this model available. This saved us from buying an expensive RIP. I don't think the difference in color gamut is that much between CMYK and printers with more colors, especially for sublimation. If I were to buy a new printer, I'd probably get a CMYK printer to save money on RIP Software.

For high volume production it makes sense to use a RIP though as it may be able to save you ink if you calibrate, linearize and profile your printer correctly.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

J-Tek can deliver enough colors for 7 or even 9 color printers. So thats not the problem. The 3 colors more for my printer will be still cheaper then the time needed to setup a rip.

But ... my question was targeted more towards the results. I have not much experience with sublim right now. For photo like designs more colors should be better. In theory. Thats why i ask.
Tom
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Like I said, IMO the difference is not that much. I guess this test can be applied to sublimation as well: http://www.signindustry.com/digital/art ... nting.php3

And not all j-teck inksets are available in that many colors.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Maybe they have new colors, the J-Teck Next is now avail in 15 colors :)

Thanks for the link
Tom
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Jep, that's the only inkset that has those colors and many of them are just different variations of black. All the other Sublimation inks they make have less colors.