autocad?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Chicagoskier11

autocad?

Post by Chicagoskier11 »

I have no access to autocad. Is there anywhere/way i can get this program cheap? I have looked online and only saw very expensive prices. It doesn't matter to me if it is an older version. I took drafting in high school and that is my only experience with the program but im sure i could design a ski shape with it. I downloaded snowcad a while back but could find no way to print out or transfer my design so i deleted it from my computer.

Also, some general questions:
Is it better to roughen the surface of ABS tipspacers or are they find the way they come from SBM?
Does anyone know of a place (preferably online) that sells bulk (about 10 pairs of skis worth) fiberglass? I have found many places but none with the 22oz stuff.

Any warnings against using an all rubber tipspacer? I was going to see if i could get some 3mm rubber sheet from mcmaster.

One last thing. What is the best way to seal wood sidewalls? Could this also work of a veneer topsheet or is it always better to go with a layer of plastic to top it off? http://www.igneousskis.com/ has a ski that appears to be very "natural". I was thinking of carving an ornate design in the topsheet of my next pair and think it would work best without the plastic.

Thanks for reading and helping
Carvejunky

Post by Carvejunky »

Chicagoskier11,

If you have a CompUSA, or something like that I believe you could find Autocad Lt for about $800 - $900. There are also some freeware drafting programs :

http://www.freecad.com/cgi-bin/dcd/html ... l_Purpose/

I have a Madd snowboard that uses rubber in the tip and tail for spacers, I'm not sure what kind it is tho... Here is a link and the black in the tip and tails is some kind of a rubber material. I read the original boards used closed cell neoprene.

http://web.mac.com/mikebanker/iWeb/Alp/Alpine.html

HTH
Carvejunky
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

There are a bunch of free cad programs that you can get. You don't need anything real fancy if all you are doing is skis.

The ones I've looked at that seem promising:
Alibre
Cadstd Pro version ($30) allows you to print across multiple pages
A9 Cad

I've also seen older versions of turbocad at half-price books for about $30-40.

On my last pair of skis, I used wood veneer and used epoxy on top. It came out really smooth and looks good. I'll protect the epoxy with system-3 linear polyurathane.

-kelvin
zachjowi

Post by zachjowi »

sketchup is a good free 3d modeling software
hafte

Post by hafte »

For bulk fiber glass try www.raka.com. $11.75/yrd (i think) 50" wide. I have not seen the SBM glass. The raka glass has a heavy 0 with slightly lighter +45, -45 stitched together. They also have a large variety of other fabrics, and a reasonably priced ambient cure epoxy, but lately I have been using the resin research stuff. More stiffnesses to choose from and better UV stability.

Snowcad does put out .DXF files to import into other programs. I haven't tried it. Thats not useful?

Hafte
Chicagoskier11

Post by Chicagoskier11 »

Thanks for all the input. I will try some of those programs soon. As for snowcad, if i remember right, i had no program to use the .DXF files with.... if i did i'm not sure i would know how to make it work since computers are very low on my list of abilities. I will just try rubber tip spacers, epoxy on the topsheet, and probably order glass from the link that was suggested. Thanks for all the help.
Chicagoskier11

Post by Chicagoskier11 »

Hafte,
I just got 6 yards 50" wide 22oz glass from raka and a gallon and a half of epoxy. They make their own epoxy and it was only about 100 bucks for the epoxy after shipping. Hopefully this stuff is good. The guy i talked to said a lot of wood boat builders have been very satisfied with it and it should allow more flex than west systems.

So for anyone who is interested, here is my breakdown of cost per pair of skis so far (including shipping to Michigan)... take into account that i have bought materials to build 5-10 pair.

edges 10.40 SBM

fiberglass 8 raka.com

base 5.5 durasurf surplus (was kinda difficult... and havent
recieved yet)

topsheet 3.5 same as base

VDS 7 SBM

Epoxy 25maybe, not sure about this one

Tipfill 2ish SBM

Core 30-40

TOTAL: 91.4-101.4 NOT factoring in graphics and press and tools of course

The ski mag article said the kams can make a pair for about 100 so i feel that i am doing pretty good. Any suggestions to lower price would be welcome. I know buying greater bulk would help.
hafte

Post by hafte »

Chicagoskier11, Raka has a good product. I have used it for several years with good results in kayaks and a couple of surfboards and a few other toys.

Raka is ment to be measured by volume. I did not like the pumps myself. I could never get good accuracy and had too much waste. I weight everything now, but the ratio changes a bit when you use weight. 1:.43 or I part resin to .43 parts hardener by weight is what I used for the 2:1 kit (I’m not sure which product you purchased). I believe that is what the Raka folks told me last time I asked them.

Your estimates look good. I come up with ~$100- $120 per pair, but with all of the tooling costs it’ll be more like $200+ per pair for the first 6 have planned.