interesting article re: binding mount location

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

G-man

interesting article re: binding mount location

Post by G-man »

I copied this link from a thread on telemarktips. Although I found it interesting from the perspective of identifying the optimal binding mount location (even though the article's focus is on alpine equipment), I'm actually posting it on this forum as kind of a follow-up to a recent discussion on another thread on this forum. That thread lightly debated whether or not the high production ski makers might occasionally make design decisions based on higher projected sales numbers rather than on giving us a truely better performing ski. There are no real definate conclusions here, but some interesting reading, none the less.

www.techsupportforskiers.com/binding_placement.htm

G-man
plywood

Re: interesting article re: binding mount location

Post by plywood »

thanks for the link! very interesting to read!

so, what do you think...these research were done for skiing on slopes, i suppose - but how should the binding be mounted, if you ski in powder?

i don`t have much experience with skis because i just started skiing a year ago (i`m riding now snowboards for about 11 years - well, i had a few seasons of skiing in my childhood before i started with snowboarding, but this doesn`t count :D )
so i have more experiences with snowboards, and there you mount the bindings as far aft as possible for riding pow. and you still have to kind of lean back by putting most of the weight at the back foot - just by doing this you become enough upswing for a nice ride.

so, if i would mount the binding as written there, this would result just in a short setback of the middle of the effective edge(as far as i understood the research). and there it starts: how are things with a more pintail-shaped powderski? wouldn`t it be more logical to take the narrowest area of the sidecut as middle of the ski than just take half of the way of the effective edge?

an if the binding is mounted nearly in the middle...would the tail still sink enough into the pow so that the tip stays out of the pow and produces enough upswing?
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!