Heksu

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

heke

Post by heke »

Here it is ..

What I could copy from Katana is weight, skies are 1950 g each.
heke

Post by heke »

Today I got the skies from base grinding. There was same waves in the bottom, I don't know why? The shop had only huge automatic machine and he was not able to finish bottoms completely. I need to take the skies to other shop..they have machine but not so much talent. Anyway tomorrow I will go to local ski resort for test run.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Nice skis!

In which dimension are the waves? along the ski or across the ski?
heke

Post by heke »

Across the skies..app. 5 cm distance between each other.

Thanks..
pmg

Post by pmg »

Can you post a picture?
heke

Post by heke »

Yep..i can post picture on Monday. I don't know if those can be seen from pictures. I did not notice those before bottom grinding, waves feels with fingers better than see those.

I have found a workshop that can make me aluminum mould. I'm wondering what length would be good. I think I will go with 185 cm as twintip. I just need to make a drawing.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Why do you want an aluminium mould?
heke

Post by heke »

Making wooden/mdf/ plywood mould is quite big work, and plywood&mdf is quite expensive. I would like to make randonee skies for my self and big mountain skies for my daughter. Both could be app. 180-185 cm and I think I could use same aluminum mould for both.

I have vacuum and with it metal mould would work fine as far as I have understood. Also need for storage is not much for metal mould.
heke

Post by heke »

Test run today..first turns were slightly gip when turning on edge. i went to ski maintenance, fellow there grinde the bottom with belt. i ask how much you want? he said that it is first time he see self made skies and it's free of charge! He also told that cheap rental skies are worse than my skies..

After that the skies felt very nice, i could ski weight on both skies, pushing more weight forward nice short turn. im very happy, the hill is so small that i was not able to test top speed but edge grip was ok and there was no vibrations. so me happy!
heke

Post by heke »

Test run today..first turns were slightly gip when turning on edge. i went to ski maintenance, fellow there grinde the bottom with belt. i ask how much you want? he said that it is first time he see self made skies and it's free of charge! He also told that cheap rental skies are worse than my skies..

After that the skies felt very nice, i could ski weight on both skies, pushing more weight forward nice short turn. im very happy, the hill is so small that i was not able to test top speed but edge grip was ok and there was no vibrations. so me happy!

Edit...i was thinking to make improved version..but I don't know what to improve. Possible make thinner tip.
heke

Post by heke »

Here is some picture, I have never done veneer ( it's walnut 0,6 mm) work before, compare to that i quite happy with result. To make the core little smaller would have give maybe better result. I have epoxy on top of the veneer, im afraid that don't last very long time.

Tail

Tip

Side wall with small damage in veneer :)
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

They look great.

I used 2 layers of a 2 component clear topcoat on my skis. The paint is from the car industry. Makes a beautiful high gloss finish, however doesn't protect from scratches very well. My edges where the veneer bends down over the core (Cap) look pretty trashed after 4 days skiing. Ski tracks sais I have skied over 110 KM.

On my next skis I will try a plastic top sheet.
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
heke

Post by heke »

For the next skies I was thinking to use only fiber glass and let the core show under it. The folio on top gives nice & good surface. I guess veneer will give some additional torsion => core must be thicker if there is no veneer.

I will go today make next test run, we have a small hill just 10 min driving from home.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

The skis looks great! You'll get more chipping of the veneer along the edge because of cap construction vs sandwich/sidewall construction. I use either a 15 or 20 degrees bevel on the sidewall to lessen the chipping.

Don't worry too much about it. Ski the hell of out them!
heke

Post by heke »

skidesmond wrote:The skis looks great! You'll get more chipping of the veneer along the edge because of cap construction vs sandwich/sidewall construction. I use either a 15 or 20 degrees bevel on the sidewall to lessen the chipping.

Don't worry too much about it. Ski the hell of out them!

Thanks alot! I learn that the side wall should have more angle, this I will make better next time. ÖÖ..Well.. these side wall I plan using hand plane and sand paper, so those are not exactly identical. :)