Heksu

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

heke

Post by heke »

Akiwi wrote:What sort of temperature is your epoxy / workshop?
In winter when the cellar is a little cold, I pre warm my epoxy by sitting it above the heater for up to an hour before using it. Makes everything much easier... It flows easier for measuring / dosing, and spreads easier in the cloth. Also penetrates the veneer well. It is probably about 25 degrees after I warm it.

But watch that it doesn't go over that temperature or it starts to harden too fast.

After I have everything in the vacuum bag, then I go over the top with a roller to get a flat surface and I help squeeze the sides in to get good tight sides..
Yeah I also roll quite a lot..This was learning experience; I would say. Temperature was 17C, for the second ski I warm up the epoxy bottles in +25C water. Laminating was much better, the first ski weight 200 g more than the second one. I will take a test for the skies and think over what to do. Maybe make a new ski? Lest see :)

Positive thing is that base was nice & flat and edges were nice.

https://www.skibaumarkt.de/produkt/supe ... cls-epoxy/
I have this epoxy, it works well.

Making the First pair went too well, I thought I can do something ;).
heke

Post by heke »

Veneer in other ski is not nice. Good thing is that the base is nice & flat. I will make a test run today. Rosewood veneer.
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

They look pretty sexy!
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
heke

Post by heke »

Akiwi wrote:They look pretty sexy!
Thanks..Test ride today. As such short 176cm skies are easy to ski. There was lot of loose snow as temperature was above freezing. Skies worked well, even though I'm not happy about quality of veneer surface.
With two skies experience it feels that core made of aspen feels "harder" under foot. Full birch core seems to damp much better..if you understand what I mean.
I will go to quite steep sking area during Easter time..looking forward for better test ride.
What ever..I'm happy with the result. 😊
heke

Post by heke »

I was four days skiing.. Yeah I'm ski builder :D. Both pairs worked well; slopes are quite steep and I could ski with full speed on the edge; the edge grip was nice and the skies worked well from ice to smelted snow.

The first pair 190 cm / 111 mm r28 100% aspen core 2-11.7-2 mm
The second pair is 176 cm/ 105 mm r17 100% birch core 2 -10,6 -2 mm

I have only GF..

The second pair requested more power to turn; feels more like slalom ski, for me it feels like birch works better to damp vibrations as it is much heavier.