Without a Fire Hose

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Sur

Without a Fire Hose

Post by Sur »

Hello!, I would like to know if somebody knows another way to build an "ski builder" without a fire hose. I live in Argentina and I can`t find a hose of 9", the bigger I found is 5" when is without air. May be, I can use 2 fire hoses, but I would need to put something between the fire hoses and the skis to be sure that the pressure would be equal.

Thanks!!!

Alejandro
burny

Post by burny »

use a vacuum press ... it pressures with about 8 tons if youre pump manages to suck down to 200 milibars, thats much more than any press that usees the hose/hydraulic system will ever be able to do.
BigG

Post by BigG »

Burny,

I think you are not completely right about that.
The surface pressure from a vacuum press gets in optimal conditions close to 1 bar.
With a blatter or hydraulic press you are able to get +5 bar of pressure.

BigG
Buuk

Post by Buuk »

With a normal pneumatic press you'll be able to reach a total force in the bladder (created by the pressure of course and using a 6" hose) of about 700000 N, so about 70000 kg or about 12 grown up elaphants :). I am still busy on writing an article about calculating a pneumatic press and some words about FEA..... but very busy at the moment.
Autoclaving would be great as well, but hard to build.

Buuk
Make things as simple as possible, but not too simple