Planer destroys cores

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Allianceskis

Planer destroys cores

Post by Allianceskis »

Im sure this question has already been asked, but what methods are being used to stop the core being uplifted and destroyed at the tips and tails whilst running through the planer? I can get a perfect outcome when the sidewall is not attached but as soon as i try profile the core with sidewalls attached it creates to much friction and destroys the core when it get around 3-4mm.

Also does anyone know how a wide belt sander goes in profiling cores?

I hope someone can help cause I'm going crazy over here!!!!
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Yup it's been discussed many times. Here's a few ways to resolve the problem. Use a dab of hot glue on the tips and tails to hold them in place. Make the cores longer than needed, you're going to get sniping from the planer so leave a few sacrificial cm's on each end. Take very shallow passes when you to get down to 4mm in the tips and tails. I use no-skid tape on my planer crib to keep the cores in place. Works pretty good.

Hope this helps.
pmg

Post by pmg »

I use double sided tape to hold down tip and tail sections, works flawless. Always have 10cm extra.
vinman

Post by vinman »

Copious hot glue on the tip and tail, grip tape, shallow passes, sharp blades, sacrificial material at the tip and tail.

Reglue at the first sign of core damage. It's not friction that causes the damage, its vibration. The vibration comes from the cores not being secure to the sled. It usually means your adhesion to the sled is lost os is bad. Don't try to plane out the damage. Stop immediately and reglue, And take another pass without adjusting the planer.

I've only lost 2 sets of cores in close to 60 pair using this method and often plane my sacrificial material at the tip and tail to less than 2mm.
Last edited by vinman on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Giant overhead belt sander like a timewaster works really well but not everyone has one.
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

seriously... you should search on this one. there is SOOOOOOOO much info out there on various fixes. you've gotta search for key word: 'WAAAAHAHAHA CHATA CHATA ERRRRRR " ;-)

http://www.skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewt ... c&start=45

viewtopic.php?t=3934&postdays=0&postord ... bdebafabcb

one of my build threads has my fix... I believe my fix was cutting a ~45Deg angle on the leading edge of the core. this helped with the knife edge not ripping up at the wood. In addition, once it starts going wrong, it's only going to get worse.... stop immediately and fix.

MM: I was thinking of going this route, thoughts? :-P http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/412063 ... oCEo_w_wcB
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Jesus. Pretty sure you can can find used timewasters for 10k. That thing will do it all.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Skimann20, I've been thinking the same thing but something that wouldn't require me to build another shop to house it :D such as a supermax. Large enough to handle most DIY projects and ski/boards. This would be a good option to get the tip/tail down to 2 - 1.5mm w/o the tear out of a planer.

http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/sup ... gQod_rwAVg
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Sd. I would be willing to bet that would not work to profile core. It would get clogged super quick.the belts on those over head sanders are like 4 feet in diameter.
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

I also think that it would not work for profiling a core as I don't think it would effectively press the core down into the mould.
Though I might be wrong there.
The carpenter shop close to me has a huge one and he helped me sand my cores down to 12mm using it. I then used the router to do the rest.
Was no problem with clogging, and it was a beautiful machine. DIgitally controlled you could dial in the depth and all you had to do was feed the cores into it.
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

MontuckyMadman wrote:Sd. I would be willing to bet that would not work to profile core. It would get clogged super quick.the belts on those over head sanders are like 4 feet in diameter.
I was thinking of using the drum sander (80grit) on the last few passes to get it down to 1.5mm - 2mm to avoid tear out that a planer can cause. A drum sander wouldn't be a good option to do the entire core.
MadRussian

Post by MadRussian »

MontuckyMadman wrote:Jesus. Pretty sure you can can find used timewasters for 10k. That thing will do it all.
I saw on local craigslist big belt sanders frequently in the price range 1k to 2500....wish have needs or space for one of those
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
skimann20

Post by skimann20 »

MontuckyMadman wrote:Sd. I would be willing to bet that would not work to profile core. It would get clogged super quick.the belts on those over head sanders are like 4 feet in diameter.
I was just being a smart ass. ;-P I believe never summer uses one of these for their cores.

yuppp found it:
vinman

Post by vinman »

I think Burton profiles core with a huge-ass sander also
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

skimann20 wrote:
I was just being a smart ass. ;-P I believe never summer uses one of these for their cores.

yuppp found it:
;-) gonna buy it! runs on a 20amp right? :-)