Stiffness Calculation

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

gav wa

Post by gav wa »

If you are talking about retailing a model of snowboard with different lengths then yes I think the smaller sizes need to be just a little bit softer than the bigger sizes as bigger people weigh more. But I think you will find the width difference will do most of that work for you.
The same core dimensions and layup but with a 10mm narrower tip/waist/tail width will be softer than the bigger board anyway.
a 148cm board might have a 242 waist width but the same model board but a 163cm is going to have a 260-263 waist.
motoman

Post by motoman »

gav wa wrote:If you are talking about retailing a model of snowboard with different lengths then yes I think the smaller sizes need to be just a little bit softer than the bigger sizes as bigger people weigh more.
You are right. Bigger people weight more. That is why I was confused when did practical measurements for models of different manufacturers. Then I did mathematical calculations and got the same result. Also I figured this fact some time before in the shop when tried to bent two boards of different size, but I was in doubt. Miraculously you get the same response...
Now I try to explain it in such a way, in order to make your boards the same and to have right understanding of stiffness it is required to push off from the same weight. It will be difficult to make one model of boards to suit wide range of people. It is easier to make different models with different stiffness.
Since there could be short persons that might weight more then tall ones.
PowderCad

Post by PowderCad »

I've been working on an online ski calculator for the past few months. It calculates the flexural rigidity along the length of the ski/board. I'll soon add 3-point bend analysis to it. Hope you find it useful.

It's called PowderCAD

This is my first post so I can post the link but you can click the link in my profile at the bottom of this post
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

That looks like it will be pretty interesting to play with. I'll try it when I get home. Skiing in Austria at the moment.
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.