Volition Skis - 2016 and beyond

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

sammer

Post by sammer »

twizzstyle wrote:
sammer wrote: Gotta get my floor coated in the shop before I move all the crap in there.
Epoxy? Best thing I ever did in my shop.
Leaning towards Rust Bullet, it's a single component moisture cured urethane. Way less prep and just paint it on.
How did the epoxy deal with the fire?

Sorry to hijack your thread Chris 8)

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
vinman

Post by vinman »

Yes basically the vector net stuff what what I was trying to emulate but on a different axis.
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
falls

Post by falls »

I'm tired of having great ideas only to find out someone else already invented it!
Don't wait up, I'm off to kill Summer....
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

:D At least you know your ideas are good.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

@falls: the surfboard industry has a variety of interesting reinforcements. Check out http://www.sanded.com.au/ and http://shapers.com.au/ for some Inspiration ;)
falls

Post by falls »

I just got an order in from shapers.com.au this morning - carbon uni/innegra mix :D
twizzstyle

Post by twizzstyle »

sammer wrote: How did the epoxy deal with the fire?

Sorry to hijack your thread Chris 8)
It got burnt pretty bad under where the fire was (garbage bin), but otherwise just got sooty. It was all stripped to bare concrete during the rebuild though and I did a brand new coating (exact same stuff, 2 part epoxy from EpoxyCoat).

(yeah, sorry chris!)
amidnightproject

Post by amidnightproject »

Haha no need to apologize for hijacking the thread! Honestly I'm glad to see people I haven't seen in awhile post again!

The vector net is cool. Naturally I was impatient and didn't want to wait so I made my own! I also got the impression that was stretchy?

I'm going to order some up and give it a go on a few pairs of personal/friends skis for the fall.

Can anyone provide a source for purchasing innegra? You can PM if you don't wan't to give it away. I won't share it either. I've struck out trying to find some this past season and emailing the company proved to not be very helpful.
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

Try surfboard building suppliers...innegra is much more present in that industry.
falls

Post by falls »

I had some feedback from some people who have tried innegra that the close weaves are very hard to wet out effectively and can lead to delams due to poor fibre encapsulation. (it is polypropylene fibre same as an ice cream tub that if you mix epoxy in it you can often pop it back out when its set - makes sense I guess).
So maybe using a hybrid glass,innegra or carbon innegra with the innegra fibres spaced apart to allow resin to permeate throught the fabric better would be good.
Others thought it didn't do anything other than add some weight.
Others thought it did improve performance - not specific how - maybe vibration dampening.
The innegra info says to use a low viscocity resin for best wet out and allow extra time for the fabric to absorb the resin. Also to use the resin ratio not on weight to weight but volume to volume as the innegra is very light per square yard compared to glass.
I think I am going to do some test layup before I use it in a ski as I got a bit spooked by the delam problems.
One good use I thought might have been to use it between the edge teeth against the base so you don't have to do a rebate on the core/sidewalls. It's main benefit is toughness (it doesn't really provide any stiffness like glass/carbon) so it might protect the core from coreshots well (a bit like kevlar).
amidnightproject

That's interesting Falls!

I hadn't run into that yet. Probably because innegra is still a relatively new material and there aren't a whole lot of people using it for our type of application. I see alot of people vacuum molding it which would allow for greater epoxy penetration.

I think I'm going to make a longer jig for weaving my own tow. I was pleasantly surprised with the way it worked for the just the tips of the skis. I think rolling out a small bed of uni then doing the weave on top of that would be beneficial in keeping everything together.
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

I've been using a bit of innegra, just patches under the binding areas on splitboards and under the heelside edge. I think it is best used for impact resistance (especially when you are just using carbon) to prevent a rock from really penetrating and getting a good grip on the edge and pulling the edge out. It probably helps prevent carbon from buckling in compression on the deck side.

I have the innegra patches under the bindings taper out in a diamond shape to prevent those buckles you see in snowboards just in front of and just behind the bindings.

I haven't had a failure so I cant really report much about the kind of fight it put up. I did have a flexy carbon board out there last year that just got punished with no signs of any delam from having innegra out to the rails. I didn't have any trouble wetting it out with thicker compression molding resin or thinner infusion style resin. (I usually wet out my fabric -Textreme and innegra) on a table covered with baking paper, I flood it with warm resin, let it sit for a few minutes (while I put resin on base and scrape excess off) scrape it with a squeegee, then flip it spread the scraped off resin onto the new side, then scrape it again and put it on the base/core)

I understand it is a lot like what you would use Kevlar/Dyneema for, but it doesn't absorb or wick water like Kevlar can and the strands have little cavities that are supposed to help in bonding strength. I used a carbon innegra weave from Soller composites.
amidnightproject

This is sort of ski building, sort of not.

So I've been running off a microsoft suface pro 4, for awhile now. I used to use quite the workhorse of a desktop PC for the longest time and over the last year or so, it's slowly been dying due to component degradation. It's been used as my print machine since Windows 10 wasn't supported fully be Epson yet.

Well yesterday my video card finally closed it's coffin so this morning I went to try and figure out a way to install the epson print utility yet again. Only this time I didn't have to trick anything and the latest download just worked.

Epson finally released full driver support for windows 10 for the epson stylus 1400 line of printers.

Thought I'd pass it along just in-case someone here was on the fence about upgrading their OS.