Aid to press a nice cap

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

pmg

Aid to press a nice cap

Post by pmg »

Hi,

this is for vacuum presses only.

I like to press cap skis with just a tiny (2-2.5mm thick) sidewall. To get enough pressure everywhere (especially for the topsheet as it is quite stiff), I put a 3mm board below the ski to give the ski more height in the press. This way I can assure there is enough pressure even close above the edge. Here's a pic:

At the tip and tail sections, the ski is flatter anyway, so I leave the hardboard at its full size, makes fixing it to the mold easier.
When I lay up next time this way, i will make some better pictures.
Akiwi

Post by Akiwi »

I quite like that idea. I have the same problem that just above the edge, it is difficult to get the cap evenly pressed against the skis / board. I guess that would help... However it is another layer of material that is unique to a ski / board design, and limits your ability to use one form for many skis
I am nobody. Nobody's perfect, so I must be perfect.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Akiwi wrote:I quite like that idea. I have the same problem that just above the edge, it is difficult to get the cap evenly pressed against the skis / board. I guess that would help... However it is another layer of material that is unique to a ski / board design, and limits your ability to use one form for many skis
Yes, but its definitely the cheapest and quickest part of the mold. Hardboard costs like 5€/m² and its cut and routed in 10 minutes.

I am trying to keep the materials I use low as well, My mold is built of different parts and I can almost make any ski with it. Also want to be able to easily build a ski model again with slight changes, thats why my stuff needs to be adaptable.

Cheers