2.5d vs 3d CAM software

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

vinman

2.5d vs 3d CAM software

Post by vinman »

So I've made the jump to CNC and I'm to the point that I need some CAM software. The CNC kit I bought has a 1 year subscription to Fusion360. But I'm having a tough time learning this software for 3D modeling my cores and I'm looking to see what others have used for their CAD/CAM package and to see if I need 3D CAM or if 2.5d will work.???

I'd consider monkey cam also...free.... but it looks like a big learning curve.

Any help is appreciated,

Thank you!
Fighting gravity on a daily basis
www.Whiteroomcustomskis.com
richie

Re: 2.5d vs 3d CAM software

Post by richie »

vinman wrote:So I've made the jump to CNC and I'm to the point that I need some CAM software. The CNC kit I bought has a 1 year subscription to Fusion360. But I'm having a tough time learning this software for 3D modeling my cores and I'm looking to see what others have used for their CAD/CAM package and to see if I need 3D CAM or if 2.5d will work.???

I'd consider monkey cam also...free.... but it looks like a big learning curve.

Any help is appreciated,

Thank you!
For most peoples purposes MonkeyCAM will do your snowboards and skis and it has had some useful further development lately to control tip and tail shapes and create partial edges for example, and it will continue to develop. You can get gcode out of MonkeyCAM in minutes if you know what dimensions you want for your ski/board, believe me it is very very easy. If you're slow like me to CAD/CAM then MonkeyCAM is a very good way to make excellent progress.

I am learning Fusion360 slowly, and as a fully integrated package its pretty impressive. I am slow to learn this stuff and to be honest I am finding it challenging, but the results I have seen from it are impressive. I recently cut several rifle stocks for 270 and 308 cal rifles and they were amazing. Fusion tool paths are very smart, compared to say MeshCAM or other low cost CAM tools Fusion is far better at making efficient tool paths that save time and also save tool wear and get a better finish. Fusion is complicated but has many great features like being fully collaborative online cloud based sw so easy to share and participate in team design. It also has a cool link in to Master-Carr catalogue so you can design in all their parts almost everything has a drawing sketch to link it into your designs for much better design quality and speed and bill of materials etc etc.....

I'm willing to run a skype session to share some MonkeyCAM knowledge if you want, anyone is free to join in if we can arrange a time for it that suits us all.

Finally, check your subscription for Fusion360, I am using it on an ongoing basis as a startup, my revenue is under the $100K pa and this apparently entitles me to free unrestricted use. This position is supported by the local sales company responsible for Fusion product who run training sessions too.

So sing out if I can help.
MonkeyCAM and SnoCAD - https://github.com/mikemag
Ski binding mounting https://github.com/splitn2/DrillSki

Richard Harcourt | www.splitn2.com | Christchurch New Zealand
rich@splitn2.com | www.facebook.com/splitn2
vinman

Post by vinman »

I really appreciate the offer for help. I've really only put a couple hours into fusion so far. I can see the potential but it is challenging to learn.

My new cnc purchase comes with a 1 year subscription. I'll have to see after that. Once I figure out how to create my core thickness profile I think things will get easier. I think the 2d stuff won't be bad and I fact I may still use turbocad to make my drawings since it is super easy, then import to fusion for the 3D and cam stuff and save to use in mach3.

I'm interested in monkeycam for sure but not sure if it is right for me. I'm really just learning cnc stuff right now.

Thank you again.
richie

Post by richie »

vinman wrote:I really appreciate the offer for help. I've really only put a couple hours into fusion so far. I can see the potential but it is challenging to learn.

My new cnc purchase comes with a 1 year subscription. I'll have to see after that. Once I figure out how to create my core thickness profile I think things will get easier. I think the 2d stuff won't be bad and I fact I may still use turbocad to make my drawings since it is super easy, then import to fusion for the 3D and cam stuff and save to use in mach3.

I'm interested in monkeycam for sure but not sure if it is right for me. I'm really just learning cnc stuff right now.

Thank you again.
you and me are both learning I am like the apprentice making mistakes all the time!!!!!!

Stick with the effort learning Fusion, look at the online videos all you can eat its helpful. Good thing about MonkeyCAM is its less about CAD and CAM and more about board/ski building. Some big time savers.

Let me know when you have time to talk for an hour on skype and we'll try a board design in that session and build the gcode.

cheers

MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

Hey vin consider drawing your core in a 2d profile and then extruding on the third axis to a 3d shape.
Does that sense?
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
chrislandy

Post by chrislandy »

Any 3d modelling program has a steep learning curve, especially anything by autodesk! I've been using autocad and others for 20yrs now and still learning things!

Well worth it though, Autodesk do a beta testing and home user licence thing so you may be able to get a cheap or free licence after the year has run out.

If you are, or know of a student then you can get a student licence for solidworks which is another good (industry std) prog, last time I used it (4/5 years ago) you could output g code, do cutting sims etc so it's probably progressed significantly in that time
vinman

Post by vinman »

MontuckyMadman wrote:Hey vin consider drawing your core in a 2d profile and then extruding on the third axis to a 3d shape.
Does that sense?
Right, just doing things in sort of a reverse order so to speak. Good idea I'll try it out.

Thanks Rob
vinman

Post by vinman »

Slowly making some progress in Fusion360. if anyone else is struggling with Fusion, take some time and watch and work along with their webinars. I'm now confident that I'll get to the point I can design my cores in 3D and then set them up in the cam workspace to make toolpaths. It will take a few more nights of watching and some trial and error before I get there.

Fusion is a way cool program if you can learn it. It is way more powerful than what I need but maybe I'll grow into it some over time.
motoman

Post by motoman »

Rihnoceros is the easiest program ever. It takes 5 to 10 minutes to create adequate file for CNC.
richie

Post by richie »

vinman wrote:Slowly making some progress in Fusion360. if anyone else is struggling with Fusion, take some time and watch and work along with their webinars. I'm now confident that I'll get to the point I can design my cores in 3D and then set them up in the cam workspace to make toolpaths. It will take a few more nights of watching and some trial and error before I get there.

Fusion is a way cool program if you can learn it. It is way more powerful than what I need but maybe I'll grow into it some over time.
I agree its worth getting skilled up on on Fusion, for other purposes beyond ski building it will help you grow your business into other areas if you want/need to. Because it has the powerful CAM built in it will save you countless hours and money, any CAD can design a profile or a plan template in dxf or stl output to send to your cnc shop down the road, but the CAM integration is essential if you own your own CNC.

LifeisRiding

Post by LifeisRiding »

Fusion 360 is easily your best option by far.
So powerful and so free!

Its a big tool but not that hard to come to grips with once you put in the time.

I made a tutorial designing a basic snowboard shape in it that I didn't end up posting because it needs to be broken into parts for youtubes max length.

I'll edit it now and post a link for you.

If you get hung up on anything in particular like the CAM side of things just give me a shout I'll be happy to help you out.

marc.l.demontigny@gmaildotcom
LifeisRiding

Post by LifeisRiding »

Turns out I can just verify my youtube account and I can post it as one video.
Think its about 30 min long.

Its loading now. Will post link soon.

Funny to see this thread, I gave Fusion360 a shout out in my most recent podcast on board building.
richie

Post by richie »

LifeisRiding wrote:Turns out I can just verify my youtube account and I can post it as one video.
Think its about 30 min long.

Its loading now. Will post link soon.

Funny to see this thread, I gave Fusion360 a shout out in my most recent podcast on board building.
awesome will check that too!

vinman

Post by vinman »

So cool,

I may hit you up for some help for sure.

I've been able to sketch and extrude a core profile and was even able to run a CAM tool path simulation, not that i really know what I'm doing yet, but I am making progress.

Cant wait to see your video.
LifeisRiding

Post by LifeisRiding »

Here it is!