edges at tip and tail

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Allianceskis

edges at tip and tail

Post by Allianceskis »

Hi there, I've made a few skis now with reasonable success but one i made the other day went horribly wrong when a lot of epoxy managed to get under my edges at the tip and tail and somehow stopping the edges take the shape of the camber mold and then going of with the heat mats so now i have a ski with a sort of stepped up edge that will never be able to be base ground.

Has anyone else had any issues with this and if so how did you fix it?

Thanks
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

I've not had the same issue as you have had, but I have had resin get under the base before and cause a rise that was hard to grind out.
One thing you can do to greatly reduce the chances of it happening is to pre-preg your lower glass layer separate to the lay-up then bring it over and onto your lay-up.
You get less resin being spread out everywhere on your lay-up and if you have somebody doing it for you while you are putting your VDS along your edges it can really shorten your total lay-up time.
I just lay some baking paper or aluminum foil out on a bench and my missus spreads the resin out through the glass ready to transfer onto the base.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Pre-Bend your edges vertically so they have the shape of the tip/tail mould already. Otherwise they always tend to go off the rest of the ski.