My new free tourer

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

SleepingAwake

Post by SleepingAwake »

Hey Philipp

thanks for your input. Yes I like doing things as well as I can - within reasons. I think we have a bit of a similar approach :)
pmg wrote:1) The template: You glued a print on the wood, right? if that print isn't 100,00% staight your template will be unsymmetric. My method to make sure the template is to create 2 (using the first as template for the second), flip the second around and again copy-rout both of them.
Yes I did print it on A4 paper. But with the 2m long straight edge I never had any problems regarding symmetry. I know your method but I never saw the need to go through all those steps.
pmg wrote:2) You cut the base straight to the end shape from full material. I (and some others) found a small basewarp happen after this. So I first cut the base a bit wider than needed (+4mm, let it rest and then put it in its final shape.
I alway cut the base in half and let it rest for a couple of days. again, never had an issue with warping.
pmg wrote:3) When you glue one edge first to the base completely and then the other (looks like this in the video), you also risk unsymmetry. A lot of people here clamp the base and egdes on the ski template when glueing the edges to the base - this gives pretty good results regarding symmetry.
During the glue up of the edges i clamp the base onto the base template, and when i flip it around there is always a couple of clamps on there until i glued the edge on on both sides.

So all in all I never had any issues with symmetry and I check whenever I have the opportunity. For example I flipped the template 180 to check the base and I cut the base for one ski with the template facing up, and the other one with the template facing down. So even if there is a small difference the error is always on the inside/outside edge.

Cheers, Reto
pmg

Post by pmg »

Hi Reto,

I see you thought about symetry a lot :) Happy Skibuilding!