In the press today - as Swiss as it gets :)

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

pmg

Re: In the press today - as Swiss as it gets :)

Post by pmg »

Hi,

just saw your questions. I re-built that ski since.

1) I didnt use any glass

2) I only used 300g/m² uni flax on top (right below the wooden veneer) as bcomp states

3) 300g/m² triax carbon as before

Result: Perfect! The single layer of flax on top is great, better dampening the very springy carbon.

For durability: The Swiss Ski still skis and skis, no delam, and the ski still skis good.

But: I think that 300g/m² carbon is way stiffer than 750g/m² glass. I never made skis with glass though and cant provide experience on that.

sami

Post by sami »

Hi,

Great, many thanks! And good to hear the result was such a success. So did you get even better dampening with the top flax only (as BComp states), compared to one layer below and above the core?

Nice to hear also that your original Swiss Ski is in such a good shape.

Skibaumarkt indicates that 300g/m2 carbon would be approximately as stiff as 750g/m2 glass (they sell both), but that is probably just an approximate. I guess I'll just need to do some testing. In any case, I'm confident that I'll use the type of layup as you have in this version 2.

Best,
Sami
Last edited by sami on Tue May 05, 2020 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

pmg

Post by pmg »

Hi,

yes, 300g/m² on top is superior to the 120g/m² on top and bottom. also way easier to work with. The 120g/m² is a PITA to lay up, the thicker one is much better to handle.