Graphene

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Graphene

Post by skidesmond »

Graphene looks like it's going to be the next big thing used in skis. I started researching the stuff. This is what I've found:
1. For one it's stupid expensive so I'm wondering how much ski manufacturers are actually using. 1 gram iof powder is about $100.
2. It's 200 times stronger than steel.
3. In its normal state it's only 1 atom thick and a million sheets are only as thick as a human hair.
4. I've seen in powder and in a liquid suspension form.

Anyone know how graphene is being used for skis? I'm guessing it maybe added to the resin mix. But how much? For all I know a gram of graphene could be enough for multiple pairs of skis. Then again maybe it's only used in the resin in 1 or 2 layers of a ski and regular resin used for the remaining ski.

Anyone else know about graphene and how it's used?

Thanks
chrismp

Post by chrismp »

This video (albeit bicycle related) explains the use and advantages of graphene in composites pretty well: https://youtu.be/FaKl3OymFy4
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Great video! Thanks Chris. Now, I need to get my hands on some 😉
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

I read it increases compressive strength of a laminate by 13% to 18%, but much more of an increase in strength after a tested laminate has had an impact. I'm not so sure that skis and boards are experiencing impacts on top side where this increase in compressive strength would be significant. On a race bike or jet turbine blade sure.

I would think graphene is a pointless addition to fiberglass or carbon innegra hybrids which already have a pretty strong resistance to compressive strength after having received an impact.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Thanks. I wondered if its was over kill to sell skis.
24Dave

Post by 24Dave »

I think it is too far even for what I've been trying to do. I've been trying to think around ways to improve the compressive strength of real thin carbon layers on the deck side of splits. Another challenge with adding the nano-powders to improve resin and overall laminate toughness is that it already takes a bit of focused work to ensure full wet-out of Textreme or other tight uni directional layers and these powders are said to really thicken up resin and impede its flow through tighter flatter fabrics.

It seems like an additive that might not be able to be taken advantage of by our ranks with less sophisticated processes. At least that's what I gather from reading a few of the composite journals regularly.

If one were to use these thicker nano carbon-toughened resins in a more open weave fiberglass, wet out would not be a concern, but I don't believe that thicker fiberglass layers really have much of a problem with impacts or compression failures. So it is sort of a solution that isn't needed there.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Sounding more and more like magic dust. I'm sure it has its applications where it's very effective.
motoman

Post by motoman »

As far as I know Head already use it in their products and argue that it's worth it.
If to argue from the point of view of the price, then it is appropriate to use it if you produce thousands of skies or snowboards. It is way to expensive. But I think it is derivative of time. In 5 years it will be as well distributed as carbon.
gketcham

Post by gketcham »

If you ask me it is just another way every ski manufacturer uses Smoke and Mirrors to make customers buy their product. From being in the industry and talking to companies at SIA every year I have become very cynical to 'new technology' in skis.

I want to get into building skis professionally but I'm not sure I can deal with making up terms and things to sell skis. (Stepping down from soapbox realizing he didn't help the conversation at all).
knightsofnii

Post by knightsofnii »

gketcham wrote:If you ask me it is just another way every ski manufacturer uses Smoke and Mirrors to make customers buy their product. From being in the industry and talking to companies at SIA every year I have become very cynical to 'new technology' in skis.

I want to get into building skis professionally but I'm not sure I can deal with making up terms and things to sell skis. (Stepping down from soapbox realizing he didn't help the conversation at all).

DINGDINGDINGDING!!!!
You won the internet for the day :)

haha, dealing with making up terms for the gimmicks is the best!!
Micrognarockamber, Doesn't Suck Technology,
Superior Lay Up Technology System ;)
Doug
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Gketcham, that’s why I started this post. From what I’ve read so far, it’s so expensive I wonder how much Head uses. I haven't seen other big manufacturers advertise it in their skis yet. Can’t imagine it’s used in the entire ski but who knows.

It’s pretty awesome stuff but will the average skier ever actually realize it? Probably not, but they’ll have the latest and greatest from Head.

I’ve read they use it in the tips of some of their line of skis to cut swing weight, the latest catch phrase. Who swings their tips? Rhetorical question, I know back country skiers and off piste skiing it matters. But I see it in carving skis and if you’re carving your not swinging the tips.

I’m always looking for new and better stuff, but I think graphene will be out of the picture for me for now.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

Reminds me to an us brand ... always talking about how important and different epoxy is because he knows ... he comes from aerospace ... and that its a carbon board...

We cut up one board and guess what ... two tiny carbon strings inside ... LOL
Tom
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

mammuth wrote:Reminds me to an us brand ... always talking about how important and different epoxy is because he knows ... he comes from aerospace ... and that its a carbon board...

We cut up one board and guess what ... two tiny carbon strings inside ... LOL
Exactly! The public has no other way to know what’s real and what’s magic powder. And IMO even when it can be engineered and shown on paper/computer it s 20% this or that, can the average skier really feel the difference? Drop 20% of the weight in the ski tip and save maybe an 1/2 ounce if that. Who’s gonna know.
mammuth

Post by mammuth »

... the people just carrying their skies from the car to the gondola and from there to the restaurant. Then weight matters ;)

(touring skis are a different story)
Tom
gav wa

Post by gav wa »

Its funny, the boards I've built with very basic layups, just glass top and bottom and a nice basic camber profile have always ridden the best. So smooth and fun to ride. People borrow them and really love them too.
In general i think most people over buy gear, but unfortunately it is sometimes hard to find a quality build basic tech stuff. You want higher end quality you get weird carbon stringers, silly implant quadratech insert areas, lifted adge tech etc.
For boards i found rossignol to be a good option but now their boards are full of wank factor too.