Junction/transition core-tipspacer

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Hannes

Junction/transition core-tipspacer

Post by Hannes »

As I am planning this years projects I always come up with new questions. Playing with SnoCad made me think of the different options of designing the tipspacers.
Straight junction or with interlock, radius or no radius. So far I always worked with a radius as I learned as kid when building rc-planes to never ever have an abrupt junction of two materials in a wing spar. But I have seen quite a few pics of skis with a straight junction of core and tipspacer.
How do you guys handle it? Do you have troubles with a straight junction? Am I having to many thoughts?
backyardskier

Post by backyardskier »

I have tried pretty much each way to do it and nothing have failed yet.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

I think most builders use a butt joint. I've also seen some builders integrate the core and tip spacer with a V. I use the butt joint and never had a failure. Since the butt joint is sandwiched between fiberglass and/or other laminates, it ends up very durable.
sammer

Post by sammer »

Yup, always worried about that and made the transition a V.
The problem is your core tapers so the thickness varies, this means your 2mm tip spacer is not the same thickness as your core for all of the junction.
Started going straight across butt joint a few years ago and have yet to see a problem.

sam
You don't even have a legit signature, nothing to reveal who you are and what you do...

Best of luck to you. (uneva)
Hannes

Post by Hannes »

So I will use butt joints this year. This will make things a bit easier.
Thanks guys!