wood sidewall or sidewallless

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

MadRussian

wood sidewall or sidewallless

Post by MadRussian »

I've been using wood sidewall. Every time making the core I'm questioning is it necessary...extra steps ... cut and glue sidewall.... extra template to make. It's a lot of work and I'm not sure if it necessary.
The only benefit I can see is sidewall is one single piece of wood
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

The sidewall should be a denser harder wood than the core. But if you're using a hardwood in the core like maple/birch/ash, etc. then just make the outside stringers wide enough to be sidewall from tip to tail. It's called variable width sidewall. It's done all in 1 glue up. No separate core making and then adding a seperate sidewall.
MontuckyMadman

Post by MontuckyMadman »

If u dont hqve issues with sidewall blowout from base side edge strikes and ski impact then its barely better. The bled core sidewall does have more tendancy to blowout where the very lam cut into the sidewall but not much. Flex may chnge but doubt its noticble depends on how wide ur sidewall strips are and how fat and thick ur skis are
sammer wrote: I'm still a tang on top guy.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

^^^ I agree. you can forgo a separate sidewall glue up altogether as long as the core glue up is super clean with out gaps. All depends on what you want the finished product to look like. It may be a bit softer but I bet it won't be noticeable.