Section8 - GS COMP

Document your personal work here. Show photos, movies, and share your secrets.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

skidesmond

Section8 - GS COMP

Post by skidesmond »

Been awhile since I posted about a build.

I did some redesign of a cheater style race Ski I had kickin around in my head for quite some time. It had a square tail and rounded the tail. Also I think I did a first, I used Flax and titanal in the ski, no FG or cf. The wood core is ash with Ipe sidewall.

Dims 180cm 114-68-100 16.5M, core 11mm. A light 7lbs 3oz together, before bindings. The camber was very shallow, about 5mm.

I used a single layer of titanal on top 2.75in wide .8mm thick down the center. No problems with the bonding of titanal.

I thought the ski felt a bit soft at first and wished I put titanal on the bottom as well. I rode the ski tonight and skied for the first time this season. I was not disappointed at all! The edges were razor sharp and held incredibly solid all the way through the turn. Pretty damp for a light ski. The skis engaged in the turn flawlessly.

If I were to do it all over again (and probably will 😃) I’d use a full width layer on top. It is a cheater design so I don’t want it too aggressive. Honestly 2 layers would kick it up a nice notch too!