torsional flex

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Car_ve_diem

Post by Car_ve_diem »

davide wrote:
Car_ve_diem wrote: ...they are so light that deflection is abundant and you feel every little crystal (despite carbon's terrific dampening abilities)...
Well, deflection does not depend on weight, but on stiffeness.
I skied them (two runs), wind-blown, piste, hard and soft snow, and I liked them a lot.

By the way, they told me that that the central part of the ski (over about 1 m) should be stiff in torsion, while tip and tails, it is better (moreforgiving) if they are a bit softer.
its harder to slide a turn if its torsionally stiff. so for beginner/intermediate you are correct. Obviously relative to the center of the ski you would want the tip/tail a touch softer otherwise it will be harder to release the edge, or deviate from the course you are carving..

not to bicker back and forth , but you might want to consider that goode is placing a weight on their skis this year to reduce deflection and vibration (similar to K2's mod monic 25g on mens 15 g on womens skis ).

magnify the facts and think it through..a heavier ski regardless of stiffnes will plow through crud better than a light weight ski regardless of stiffness...however a lightweight "stiff" ski will resist deflection better than a lightweight soft ski however that will put more stress on the skier.

my $.02