surface veil as topsheet?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Carty

surface veil as topsheet?

Post by Carty »

Has anyone tried, or does anyone have experience, useing a surface veil, either fibreglas or poyester( such as nexus) as a top sheet. For my application it would be over veneer and serve as the protective layer. I have been useing 10 mil mylar as my release layer and it leaves an impecably smooth finish right out of the press, so I have no worries about apperance. What I am curious about is the durability of the surface veil. Thanks.
justin56

Post by justin56 »

Carty, I've used fiberglass and clear plastic. They both work. Fiberglass can telegraph, so I would suggest looking for a clear plastic film that will bond with your resin system. Some types of film will allow you to paint graphics (in the reverse) on the backside, if you would like to sign your work and have it be protected. If you do use any graphics, aside from sublimation, make sure the inks do not act as releasing agents.

I've also made units with no topsheet at all, but the molds must be mirror finish to get away with it. You could probably produce a very small run of skis that way before the molds would need to be resurfaced--also, resin heavy tends to look better when not using a topsheet, which means a heavier finished product.

-J