press mold information????

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rockaukum

press mold information????

Post by rockaukum »

I'm going to be picking up some 3/4" MDF in the morning and would like to know how tall are you all building the mold. Will it take one or two sheets (4x8) to make a mold for the ski press and or for a snow baord?
Thanks,
rockaukum
Chicagoskier11

Post by Chicagoskier11 »

I was able to make my mold with only one 4X8 board but the top mold is alternating MDF and 2X6. I think the height is a flexible feature. I don't know the exact heights of the top and bottom seperately but I do know the total. With 2 inches in between the molds for the bladder and materials it stands at about 9.5 inches if i remember correctly. Most people seem to have what appears to be an excessive amount of tip and tail section, as do I. IF i wanted to for some reason i could have tips that rose like 6 inches off the snow. Remember, it is always better to make something too big than too small. Case in point, I was able to get a lot of steel for free for the frame after i build the mold, but to make it work i had to trim 1.25 inches off the top mold (free 11inch tall bolts to hold it together, wish they would have been 12inch... important thing is FREE).
rockaukum

mold information

Post by rockaukum »

Thanks for the reply. From the pics I've been looking at it seems the general height is about 2" at the ends. I'll follow the logic of bigger is better to some extent.

FYI: I tested about 180' of the hose today after I got home from work. I folded the hose and clamped both ends with a schrader valve in it. I inflated the hose. I held just fine up to about 40 psi, then the clamps blew off. So I think the hose is good. The PO was closed today, so I'll send it out on Monday. I'll get you additional info then.
Thanks again,
rockaukum