materials

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

dcaldous

materials

Post by dcaldous »

I'm curious about material suppliers other than SBM due to the fact that many of the materials they offer are currently out of stock.
People have mentioned CDW for edges and VDS foil. Can materials be recived from them in a reasonable amount of time? In another thread there was some mention of taking 3 months.
Are there any other options for edges?

To get Durasurf does one just use the customer service contact link on that website to ask for a quote? Do they have a minimum order amount?

Where do people recomend I look for sidewall and tip spacer material?

I'm curious what type of top sheet materials people are using. I've seen a lot of clear p-tex in the ski gallery. It appears that there have not been terribly good results with getting polycarbonate to stay bonded. What is the material that SBM offers for topsheets?

I'm also curious where people are getting titinal from. I can't find anything on the website that the link sends me to that hints at who it could be purchased from.

Any input would be appreciated.
Dave
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

Hey Dave,

I can't really inform you too much about the edges and VDS material since that seems to be Kelvin's area of expertise.

But you can get most of the other materials such as the base material, topsheet material, sidewall, and tipspacer material all from Durasurf for relatively cheap prices. You can simply call their service department and they'll quickly help you out. As for a minimum I don't remember them requiring one for me but things could have changed since then.

SBM's clear topsheet may be some kind of polycarbonate that has been treated so that it bonds. The polycarbonate that we've tried (not fromSBM) didn't bond because it wasn't specifically treated for our application. SBM's topsheets are very nice and shiny but they are extremely weak. On the other hand clear P-tex (from Durasurf) makes a super strong topsheet but tends to dull out the graphics a little. Personally I prefer the P-tex.

The titanal in our skis was provided as free samples from the manufacturer (Titanal Sports) in Austria. I'm not sure if you can order Titanal anywhere else. I'd skip the Titanal anyway and go with the more easily available carbon fiber.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
dcaldous

Post by dcaldous »

littleKam
Do you use the same thickness p-tex on the topsheets as you do on the bases or do you order another sheet of a thinner material?
Also what thickness of material do you get for sidewalls and tipspacers?
I was thinking about 1/2" thick sheets for sidewals and 2-3 mm for tipspacers. Does that seem about right?
Thanks,
Dave
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

I ordered my topsheet material from Durasurf and basically it's half the thickness of base material. Same stuff just thinner. We actually tried using regular base material for the top sheet on one of our skis (The Red Oktober) and it worked well.

1/2" thickness for sidewall and 2-3mm for tipspacer material sound good.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
Chicagoskier11

Post by Chicagoskier11 »

Durasurf told me the min. was 300 yards, i believe which was at somewhere from $6-7/yard. Email them and ask for the excess inventory list and you can buy pretty much any color and length roll for just $2/yard plus shipping. The rolls typically range from 50-150 feet in length but you can also buy much smaller or larger amounts. Depending on who you talk to they may be willing to cut any roll to the length you want. They are currently out of .02 inch thick clear topsheet. I'm sure it won't take long to get more though.

However, if you want it quick good luck. It's been about 5 weeks and my order has not been shipped yet. I don't think this is typical b/c they lost my order to first time and i did not realize this until after 3 weeks. I would give them 3-4 weeks though.