Finding inserts with a magnet

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Carty

Finding inserts with a magnet

Post by Carty »

I don't know if anyone is doing this, I have not seen it posted any where.
After dishing out for the bulls eye magnetized inserts a freind and I had the brain storm to use a magnet to find non magnetized inserts.
It works. I used a 1/4 inch rare earth magnet, like you can get from Lee Valley. Certainly takes some of the stress out of measuring.
G-man

Post by G-man »

Depending upon the grade of stainless steel that inserts are made from, the SS may not have a magnetic character. My inserts from CAMAX do not react at all to a rare earth magnet (after I remove the rubber magnetic cap). Do you know what material your non-magnetic inserts are made from?

G-man
Carty

Post by Carty »

They are just the ones from snowboard materials
endre

Post by endre »

Maby that's the reason Camax invented magnetic caps?
G-man

Post by G-man »

endre wrote:
Maby that's the reason Camax invented magnetic caps?
Yes, it may well have been a factor, however, I think that the main reason to go with the magnetic caps is that they make finding the insert so easy, and they provide a barrier so that the epoxy doesn't get into the insert during pressing. I guess that my prior post wasn't very clear. I was attempting to make the observation that it was a surprise to me that the Bullseye stainless steel insert, without a magnetic cap, would have a magnetic attraction. Austenitic grade, or 300 series, stainless steels contain nickel (about 10%) which results in a steel that is non-magnetic. 70% of all stainless steel production is 300 series material. Martensitic grade, or series-00, stainless steel contains no nickel and less chromium (12-14% as compared to 18% for 300 series), is therefore not as corrosion resistant as other classes, and is magnetic. Series 300 steel is more difficult to machine, but it is a good choice for an insert due to it's higher corrosion resistance.

So, if the Bullseye inserts are magnetic, they are probably made from a series-00 steel. I believe that CAMAX just recently switched to 300 series (per a conversation that I had with David a few months ago). In fact, I just got up from the computer and did a check on a pair of skis that I built a while back using last year's CAMAX inserts, and they are highly magnetic, so, they must be series-00, also. I see no obvious signs of corrosion in those inserts, and they've seen a lot of time on the snow. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the current CAMAX inserts, without the caps, are non-magnetic.

Anyway, both types of inserts are will probably work very well for our purposes, and Carty has come up with a quite clever method for locating the series-00 non-capped inserts. Thanks for the tip, Carty.

G-man
endre

Post by endre »

I have got the impression that the usual alloy for skis and snowboard inserts is 416. (304 for wake and kiteboards)
may I be right?
G-man

Post by G-man »

endre,

I think that you are probably correct. 416 stainless has a bit more sulfur in the mix, making it easier to machine, so I can see where 416 would be a good choice for skis and snowboards where a really corrosive environment is not a huge issue. I don't know much at all about wake and kiteboarding, but I'm imagining that these activities often take place in salt water environments where corrosion is more of a concern, so 304 would be a good choice for those boards. 304 is reported to be the most commonly used Series 300 grade, with 18% chromium and 8% nickel, resulting in very good corrosion resistance. I checked the CAMAX website (I'm never sure that my memory is very reliable) and their current inserts are made from 304 stainless. CAMAX may also make inserts for wake and kiteboards, and therefore may have decided to make all of their inserts out of the same material. I'm betting that the first batch of inserts that I got from CAMAX about a year ago are 416 material, as you suggest, because they do have a magnetic attraction and they countersink easily without destroying my countersink bit, as other grades of SS have done in the past. When I ordered that first batch of CAMAX inserts, David indicated that they were going to be switching to a Series 300 material soon. As I indicated earlier, the first batch of inserts show no signs of corrosion after much exposure to the elements... I have a bad habit of leaving the skis outside, leaning against the house, in between ski trips, so the skis often don't get a chance to dry out because they are always getting rained/snowed on. I haven't actually used the 304 inserts yet, even though I recently took delivery on 800 of them. The new inserts look to be manufactured via some kind of forming process rather than machined in a traditional manner. That may have something to do with the 306 material being a bit more difficult to machine via traditional tooling.

Anyway, probably way more information than anybody wanted to know. I'm still glad that CAMAX uses the plastic magnetic caps. I even ordered extra caps from CAMAX so that I can shorten an insert a mm or two, then re-seal the opening with a new cap to keep that nasty resin out of the insert.

G-man