Do edges add to surface area of base?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

nOtyRmOm123

Do edges add to surface area of base?

Post by nOtyRmOm123 »

ski im planning on building is 150 in the tip, 120 underfoot and 135 in tail. do edges contribute to that? like should template be 146,116,131?(using 2mm edges)
Head Monkey

Re: Do edges add to surface area of base?

Post by Head Monkey »

Yep, the overall dimensions include your edges, so you need to make your base template 2mm smaller all the way around.
Everything I know about snowboard building, almost: MonkeyWiki, a guide to snowboard construction
Free open source ski and snowboard CADCAM: MonkeyCAM, snoCAD-X
mattman

Post by mattman »

Yes, undersize your base template accordingly. Also, you will have a step in this shape if you are doing “3/4 wrap”. That is, if you are not fully wrapping the edge around the base.
pmg

Post by pmg »

I always leave the template at full size and use the router to take the 2mm for the edges away from the base.
mattman

Post by mattman »

pmg wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:32 am I always leave the template at full size and use the router to take the 2mm for the edges away from the base.
I’ve never tried that - very interesting. Just an undersized bearing with a flush cut bit? Do you do 3/4 wrap by carefully locating the ends of your cut?
pmg

Post by pmg »

Yes, exactly as you describe :)
TimW

Post by TimW »

Most of my snowboards end up being 4mm wider than originally intended because I keep forgetting this when I have my templates cut.... :? . Luckily for snowboards that is not much of an issue.
skidesmond

Post by skidesmond »

Your template should be sized with out the edges. So subtract about 4 mm from your desired finally dimensions.