First skis, choosing core wood

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

KillinEmSoftly

First skis, choosing core wood

Post by KillinEmSoftly »

Hey all I'm taking on a new project and doing my best to make some skis, hopefully kick off a fun hobby for myself. Right now I'm just in the planning stage but I'm trying to decide between woods for my core. I was looking at doing Aspen with 2 Ash stringers, but the ski I'm looking to (mostly) copy for my first pair uses Poplar and Beech. I was wondering if anyone could help me decipher what the difference between those setups would be (all other things equal). I'm also planning on doing poured urethane sidewall+ tip/tail fill if that would change my core choice. Thanks in advance, all the info available here has been crazy useful already!
24Dave

Re: First skis, choosing core wood

Post by 24Dave »

Poplar is pretty similar to aspen, maybe most poplar is slightly heavier, slightly tougher (resistance to compression and bending strength)

Beech and ash are pretty similar also. Both are fairly heavy, tough and handle shock and compression well. There are easy wood data tables at https://www.wood-database.com/