Designing different lengths of the same ski

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Noshaq

Designing different lengths of the same ski

Post by Noshaq »

Hi everyone,
How would you design different length of the same ski. What would be your focus on? Keep the radius same, or width? Would you vary different length of the tip and tail rocker, or keep rocker sections the same and only shorten or extend mid section?
mattman

Re: Designing different lengths of the same ski

Post by mattman »

My preference has always been to keep the tip-waist-tail consistent and change the radius accordingly. Rocker length I keep proportional to the contact length/core length. This is not the same as proportional to the ski length because I keep tip and tail length constant. This makes sense to me as proportion of contact/core length is the same way I place BOF. However, if you have modular mold blocks and don't want to make another rocker block - I think the change in rocker by length (for minor tip rockers) is often negligible.
Jonrezz

Re: Designing different lengths of the same ski

Post by Jonrezz »

Yeah I think what Matt is saying is how most people do it. that's how I do it too. I'm assuming the BOF you're referring to is boot offset?