Installing an edge?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

DiveBomber

Installing an edge?

Post by DiveBomber »

Hi all, New here, Right now I want to make a split board, out of a current board. So I'd just cut the board I want to use in half, But ideally id like to install an edge there, How feasable is this?
And how would I go about it?

Thanks
Mike
FLIGHT-BIKES.COM Hardcore bikes for hardcore riders, Made in COLORADO
Idris

Post by Idris »

First get hold of some 'metal grip ptex repair string'...I think www.tognar.com has some, but you might get it elsewhere also. And some edge. And about 100-200 #2 1/4" bras screws

Next cut back the base (where you want to install the edge) so you can access the core. You need to route/chissel/carve a slot for the edge to sit in. (I used a large car body file for this) It only has to be the depth of the teeth/flange on the edge.

Test fit the edge. Drill hole for your tiny screws, one ever inch or so. Test fit all of the screws with the edge - yes all of them. Remove the scres and edge. Now mix up some 24hr epoxy - Araldite or 2tone will work fine - Just not the rapid set struff.

This is when it gets messy Put epoxy in the slot and put the edge in place.
Put your screws in. Any left over epoxy should be spread on the flange/teeth of the edge, filling all the little gaps. A few clamps would not go amis at this point, but if your scres are sound they don't matter too much.

When the epoxy is good and dry grind down the screw heads with a dremel or similar, you can do this with the edge of a file but its a pain.

Use the metal grip ptex to now fill in the gap between the edge and base and marvel at how it sticks to steel and brass unlike regular ptex candels.

Scrape/file smooth - go out and enjoy.

I have never don this to a board. But have been sucessfull at using this method to replace the edges when reshaping 2 pairs of skis. So 8 edges so far. It is a pain in the arse to do. But it works. All the screws stop the edges pulling out when you go rockhopping.