Fiberglass in layup

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

jadb

Fiberglass in layup

Post by jadb »

Hey, I am currently building my first snowboard for a high school project. I am stuck though as I only have 2 meters of 22oz triax glass for 1 board (162cm). I am on a time crunch and dont have time to order another 2 meters. I am curious if I could use a meter of 22 oz triax on the top and bottom in the center of the board, and add some of this 8oz for the tip and tail. https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Bondo-8- ... /202077814. Would this ruin the board? Could I only fiberglass one side of the board? Is there another material I could use either on the top or the bottom? Could I only fiberglass the middle of the top and bottom? Anyone who has some experience I would appreciate your advice, as I am not completely sure what the effect on the board would be.
RealMcCoy

Re: Fiberglass in layup

Post by RealMcCoy »

the thickness of the glass gives the board its rigidity. I would hesitated to use 8oz on the ends unless you doubled it up. Alternatively, I've used 8oz between my base and the core and then thicker glass on the top and this worked well for me. My board is fairly flexible and "surfy", so not good for hard pack icy days, or park riding, but I love riding it in powder.