Cheap Snowboard Press

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

esilfies

Cheap Snowboard Press

Post by esilfies »

Hi Everyone,

I have been interested in building a snowboard for a while now, but I am a college student living in a small apartment with limited time, money and space. I am an engineering student, so I have access to plenty of tools (but not all) and some work space, but not a ton to store materials and supplies.

Does anyone have sugestions on what methods might be best for building a board with minimal startup cost and space?
TimW

Re: Cheap Snowboard Press

Post by TimW »

Vacuum

I built my first board (successfully!) on an MDF plate, bent it a bit to provide camber. Fastened it on top of a wooden bean to hold it in shape. Sealed the plate surface with epoxy(to hold the vacuum since it's porous). Made some ramps for the nose and tail that I placed on top of the plate.

Outline of the board I copied from a 1:1 print of the boards outline. I shaped the core fully by hand planer (at the expense of some blisters). I used an old compressor as a vacuum pump(not great but more than good enough).