Tape that can stay in laminate?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

pmg

Tape that can stay in laminate?

Post by pmg »

Hi there,

does someone know a tape which is designed to stay in laminates? As my core has quite exactly the width of base + edges (no more than 0.3mm extra), I want to avoid any core shift. Additionally to my well-working system using thumbtacks glued to the base, I would like to tape the core to the tipspacer and ski end on the top side - here I can exactly mark where the core should be.
Thank would mean that the tape I use will stay in the core. So it should be thin and ideally like a mesh or net, so epoy ca go trough it. I tried finding something like that, but am out of luck so far. Maybe I am just using the wrong search terms.

Best regards
Philipp
Dr. Delam

Re: Tape that can stay in laminate?

Post by Dr. Delam »

You can use a fiberglass mesh tape that is used for drywall/tile backer board but it does have some thickness to it so you will most likely see it in the laminate. It is not super sticky either so I don't really recommend that method.
evlskis

Re: Tape that can stay in laminate?

Post by evlskis »

I have used porous paper medical tape (3M Micropore Surgical Tape from Amazon) for this purpose with great success. I mainly use it when I'm prototyping something new, but I apply a few pieces of it to the underside of the core+tipfill joint with a tiny dab of superglue to make sure it doesn't move. The paper is strong enough to hold, even if I pre-press the core and tipfill in the mold to make alignment easier during layup and then end up moving the core around the shop a bunch before I'm ready to make skis. The tape is thin enough that I've never noticed any sign of it in the finished skis.
Melanie

Break over. Back to the... hobby? obsession? labor of love? The whatever that is EVL Skis. 8)