Video: An Introduction to Ski Building

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bigKam
Site Admin

Video: An Introduction to Ski Building

Post by bigKam »

hi everyone!

we've been recording video for some time now, and finally, there's opportunity to put it to good use. we've created a 15 minute video that briefly overviews the ski building process, in particular, the layup process. the video was created to help new ski builders quickly become familiar with the process. (note: this is just an overview showing basic techniques.) because it covers the layup process, there's no discussion about how to make the press or how to prep/profile the wood core. we'll create other videos in the near future to cover these and other topics.

anyway, the video is free to share, and we kindly ask for feedback to help us improve future versions. a low-resolution version is available for download at:

http://www.skibuilders.com/howto/movies ... ntro01.wmv

low-resolution is provided simply because the file size is relatively small: 30MB. if you prefer a higher resolution version (>220MB), please contact us for details.

enjoy.
Last edited by bigKam on Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alex

Post by Alex »

This video is fantastic - showing each step very clearly! Great help for everybody getting started with skibuilding and even interesting for more experienced people seeing differences in approach.
plywood

Post by plywood »

you`re just awesome!
great video, just completes your brilliant site!
now after my first ski i know by myself how much work it needs and my respect and admiration for your work here growed once again.

skibuilders for president! ;)
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

wow.. very nicely done. Cleared up a few questions I had too!!
Idris

Post by Idris »

Nice one lads 8)
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

nice video!

Just one question. How did you make sure that the core did not shift while being pressed?
Lennard

Post by Lennard »

maybe a core building video would help me a bit, there a points i've got to get behind.

seems work of just a few minutes in the video :D
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

thanks for the compliments everyone! it was fun putting the video together. we'll continue to produce other videos to help everyone learn the process...
iggyskier wrote:nice video!
Just one question. How did you make sure that the core did not shift while being pressed?
in the video we don't do anything about it, except try our best to line the core up when we assemble the materials and mold. as shown, the skis lack inserts and sidewalls, so it wasn't critical that we lined up the core...

we have, however, secured the core to the mold using small nails, and i've personally rigged a set of alignment rails on the mold to keep the cores centered. the trick is using hot glue, which easily peels off after the epoxy cures....
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

Great video. Like really, it shows all the major steps really well. I would like to say congradulations.

In terms of improvements, i think everyone that has watched the video just wants to see more. they cant get enough of it. For basic coverage it is great. no complaints at all.
in other words you should make a feature length one. haha

We purchased all the materials for our next ski today. (this is our 3rd ski) we filmed alot of the last one. But after seeing your video i keen to film it like you have, detailing each process. It may help as people will see different designs. and techniques. including the use of a non-heated press.

Once again that was brilliant. Good work once again guys
SCHÜSS 2011
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Great vid! I also have a question, What was the brown colored sheet that was placed over the plastic just before putting the mold into the press? I plan on using thin guage sheet steel on my mold (top and bottom). Any known problems with using this?
As always, Thanks for the insiration!
rockaukum
kelvin
Site Admin

Post by kelvin »

The brown sheet is 1/8" hardboard and we use it to even out the pressure a bit.

-kelvin
powdercow

Post by powdercow »

Great work guys. One question:

When you first put the core on the mold I noticed that it was suspended between the tip and tail molds, the camera then cuts our and when it comes back the core is securely fastened down. Was this just using the stickiness of the epoxy or was something else involved?

The popping noises as you inflate the bladder made me laugh, reminded me of stress testing my press, no matter how strong I thought it was the noises still play on my nerves.
- Ben
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

powdercow wrote:Great work guys. One question:
Was this just using the stickiness of the epoxy or was something else involved?
in the video, it was the stickiness of the epoxy. we've also fastened the core to the mold using small screws or nails.
powdercow

Post by powdercow »

Thanks Kam-

I ended up just holding one core down till it stuck on it's own while working on the other core. Going forward I think I am going to try the "small nail" method.
- Ben