Topsheet Info from Alkemy Ski Topsheet Company

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

Mongo

Topsheet Info from Alkemy Ski Topsheet Company

Post by Mongo »

So I found this company called Alkemy Ski's out of Denver that makes designs graphics and makes topsheets for people to put on their existing purchased skis. The concept is pretty novel, and based on the really slick surfaces of most topsheets, I sent them some questions about their material selection, bonding process, and generally what they do. Here is their response.

"Hey Geoffery,
The topsheet we use is the same that K2 uses, its a Co-Ex material that is a great top sheet. The company that sublimates them for us is in Seattle and do the top sheets for many companies including Icelantic Skis. The sublimation means that there is no way the design can wear off even if you take a huge gouge out of it.
There are several steps to bonding the topsheet to the ski, one of which does include vacuum bagging the entire ski. What it means though is that you essintially end up with the same ski you started with except a new topsheet. We use a resin that is standard in the ski industry, actually its what most skis are held together by. So unless you leave your skis in the sun or really mess up a huck they will not pull off. Some skis unfortunately do not work well for this process but at first glance the Volkls should be pretty good.
I hope this helps,

Matt

President/Founder Alkemy Skis"

The info was pretty good, not really as in depth as I was looking for, but gives a good insight into what present manufacturers are doing. They didn't give me any prices, but on their website they state that they will work with anyone to custom design graphics that can be manufactured so some more profession looking, albeit more expensive than a fabric medium, skis could be turned out. Just though that this might intrigue some people to maybe put together some fantastic graphics once a solid manufacturing process is established as I have found just about the least information of all on how these nice looking graphics get put on commercially made skis. You can check them out at:

www.alkemyskis.com

Hope this stirs up some info from others on materials, screen printing or sublimation, and bonding issues. --Geoff
Powforbreakfast.

Post by Powforbreakfast. »

hey, that's pretty cool. I've been skimming the forums for topsheet alternatives, so i'm going to bump this. even though they get cut quite a bit, the stuff k2 uses (like on the factory skis, what i've seen) is pretty durable. i would rather have a few small cuts and scratches than large chips, which would be what pbt topsheets would do. does anyone know where to buy any of this Coex polymide stuff? i havn't found anything yet. i just emailed k2 and asked who their supplier was, and what the material was actually made out of. so, bump for info!?
also, i wonder if that guy was referring to creative edge graphics in auburn..
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

Powforbreakfast. wrote: also, i wonder if that guy was referring to creative edge graphics in auburn..
If they are correct about the Icelandic info, then yes, they are.

Curious to hear about the material as most of the CE stuff seems to be done on PBT....