Ski designs for park skis

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

pulser9

Ski designs for park skis

Post by pulser9 »

Hey guys im looking into making a press and all to get into this. But what i would like to know is, is anyone making skis for park skiing or all just big mountain? Also whats a good core design for a park ski?

Kevin
littleKam
Site Admin

Post by littleKam »

There are quite a few guys on here that have built successful park skis. Member "*ARMADA*", "Melvs" (?), and a bunch of others have documented there works really well.

Personally I don't think park cores should differ too much from the traditional core. You can butter zones (basically softening the core) and such, but that's not a big deal.
- Kam S Leang (aka Little Kam)
mattym

Post by mattym »

So I haven't actually made any skis yet, but when I get started I am going to be making mostly jib sticks - for park and for pow/big mountain. I think it depends a lot on what kind of park ski you like - but you should look at what the manufacturers are using for cores. You will find a lot are using maple/aspen and such, but I'm thinking bamboo is gonna be the way to go if its accessible - super strong, super poppy. Maybe adding something different in the tips and tails, possibly creating butter zones as littlekam mentioned and other park specific features. But seriously, if you are going to make your own ski, dont follow what you have seen from other manufacturers thus far(maybe for the first pair or something) - you should have a look into making a rockered park skis. If your interested in something like this read the rockered skis thread that plywood just created because hopefully there will be some really interesting discussion on this. Oh, and you need to look at this site:

http://www.filmtheidea.com/fujaspage.html

This is the future :)