Getting Started - Template

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

dbtahoe

Getting Started - Template

Post by dbtahoe »

Quick question. When building my ski template do I need to decrease the size from my final dimensions to accommodate for the edge width?

What are edges? 5mm wide? Do they typically extend 2mm out from the sidewall?

Thanks for any help!
plywood

Re: Getting Started - Template

Post by plywood »

if you mean the template for cutting out the base: yes. you have to decrease the size of the edges to finally get the dimensions you want. or if you don`t subtract the width of the edges you just become a wider ski. so my edges are 2mm wide. to get the dimensions you finally want you have to subtract 2mm on each side in my case.
i think 2mm wide edges are the normal standard...
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!
dbtahoe

Post by dbtahoe »

Okay that helps. I'll cut my wood template 2mm smaller than the finish ski dimensions. I saw a video clip where you then measure 3mm in on the base material and cut it using your larger template and just shifting it around 4 times. Is that what you do?
plywood

Post by plywood »

for my skis i cut out the template for the base 2mm narrower on each side. so instead of 132 - 98 - 122 my template has 128 - 94 - 118. then i routed out the bases with a router bit with a ball bearing...quick, easy and precise.

well it actually depends on the edges you got, as i said. mine are kind of...the normal ones, 2mm wide and 2mm high. but there are stronger edges which you can find on some hardcore freeride skis...the are thicker and wider, i guess they are about 3mm wide. so if you want to use such edges (and if you can order them somewhere...what should be the greater problem) you had to make your template 3mm narrower on each side
plywood freeride industries - go ply, ride wood!