What's your ideal ski length?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

<170
13%
4%
No votes
30%
22%
>185
30%

Total votes: 23

Bluehouseskis

Post by Bluehouseskis »

I'm thinking about designing a ski for small production but can't decide on a length. It will be a big mountain/powder ski.

I'm 6'1" 185lbs and usually ski a 190ish but they won't necessarily be for me. What do you guys suggest for a good "selling" length?
iggyskier

Post by iggyskier »

if it is a big mountain/powder ski, I would say 185 cm minimum. Personally, I would go 190-193cm, no shorter.

Are they going to be twined or not? Cause a twin skis a lot short than a flat tail.
Idris

Post by Idris »

Messing about or climbing to ski <180

Charging hard >180
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

I'm 6'1" and about 185 also and ski 185 and 186. Mid fat ski and when climbing the skis are heavy. trying to build a light weight ski for the climb..
rockaukum
bigKam
Site Admin

Post by bigKam »

when you say "big mountain", do you mean a pilot flying a person to the top of a big mountain? in that case, 180 - 185. otherwise if the person had to carry his/her skis to the top of a big mountain, then <= 180.
Chicagoskier11

Post by Chicagoskier11 »

170 seems ideal for a flatlander mid-western skier like me. I like 170 in the park but i think i will alter my press to a length of 175 since I will be spending a greater proportion of my skiing time out west. I also prefer a slalom turn to a GS turn and carving as apposed to skidding so that keeps me on a shorter ski. Interesting note, I skied a 160 slalom ski when i raced in high school and that seemed long to some people. The norm is probably 155 for people under say 5'11" in michigan high school racing. Different geographic hold a different ideal length.
Even for the steep and deep I prefer something under 180.
Bluehouseskis

Post by Bluehouseskis »

I am working on a 186 right now maybe with a bamboo core but am not totally sure. They will be twinned but only slightly (think Bro Model). I really want a ski that will blast through anything so I'm leaning towards a stiffer ski but not too heavy. I'm in Utah and am trying to make something that will work for the Alta Snowbird crowd as well as the backcountry.
Cadman

Post by Cadman »

I am skiing on a 174 right now but would rather be on something closer to 180cm.
RoboGeek

Post by RoboGeek »

I find my 170's too long and am going much shorter. Tried some 154's and it was just like being on rollerblades - I could turn fast and control my speed, where the bigger skis just seem so sluggish.

5'8" 175 and still very much a rookie
I used to be a lifeguard, but some blue kid got me fired.
Docta

Post by Docta »

Im a former long ski junkie; used to ride 203 GS for the trails, 195 for bumps/powder... dropped down to 170s a few years ago with the advent of reasonable ski technology, then I tried skiboards for a joke; and I liked them, but they are very limited... I recently purchease some 130CM Hagans, and am amazed at their versality and ride, the make you really rethink the sport,allow you to pull lines in the trees and steeps undoable on longer skiis. Im on here, like others, because no one is making the ski I want so Im gonna biuld it myself... about 145 in length, pretty fat, as an all mountain powder, tree, park, and carving do it all super board.