Steel Grade for Ski Edge

For discussions related to the type of materials to build skis/snowboards and where to get them.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

keile

Steel Grade for Ski Edge

Post by keile »

hi! i need this info urgently. Anyone here knows what is the common steel grade used for making ski edges?
G-man

Post by G-man »

Try a search. I posted that info a few months ago, but I can't remember where. Short on time myself at the moment.

G-man
Cadman

Post by Cadman »

http://www.metalldeutsch.com/english/start.html

This is a copy from their website:

For producing our edges we exclusively use steels of highest quality, which guarantee that high ductility is achieved even at a hardness of 48 RC. That means that no breaks will occur even if a high number of reversals of bending is applied onto the edge.

Materials used:

Ck 60 DIN material N° 1.1221
100 Cr 6 DIN material N° 1.3505
Stainless X7CrNiAL17-7 DIN material N° 1.4568

Our profiles have a max. section of 30 mm² and a max. breadth of 12 mm. SWD-steel edges receive the required section during the cold rolling process.

The material is profiled, punched and hardened during the process of tempering and annealing by special machines, wich are exclusively constructed by our engineers for this purpose.

In general, all SWD-profiles are available on coils. It doesn´t matter whether they are punched or not. One coil of punched material weighs approximately 60 kg, an unpunched one about 75 kg

The hardness of the edges can be chosen between 40 +/- 2 and 52 +/- 2 RC, as desire
keile

Post by keile »

wow! thx alot :D