Top Sheet Materials

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

powdercow

Post by powdercow »

HaHa G-man - I knew if I kept asking questions you would eventually tell me to figure it out myself. No worries, I am just a curious (and thankfully alive) cat.

I do like what you said about the possibility of beating the big boys. Other industries (software) have shown that when a dedicated, passionate group of people collaborate (usually over the net) they can often produce a superior product than moribund industry giants.

As for the original topic my skis used a fiberglass topsheet made of 6 oz woven glass. While I haven't intentional beat them they have received their share of abuse both by being banged together while skiing and from the fact that they live in my trunk which they have to share with suitcases, lumber etc. They have yet to show anything in the way of chipping. One warning is that the fiberglass isn't completely transparent on on solid colors wont provide the same nice look as you see on the ahma.
- Ben