ajustable mould

For discussions related to designing and making ski/snowboard-building equipment, such as presses, core profilers, edge benders, etc.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

alta pow skier

ajustable mould

Post by alta pow skier »

I want to make a ajustable mould that expands in the middle of the mould instead of the tips and tails, has this been done ? If so I would really apreciate some information on how to make it.
-> leo wrote this <-
sam

Post by sam »

You could probably make one by placing horizontal ribs half way in between the tip and tail. One thing you might want to consider though is that with a mold that is ajustable in the tip and tail sections you can interchange these sections to get varios tip and tail curvatures.
powdercow

Post by powdercow »

The problem with adjusting a mold in the middle is that if the ski has a continous camber it will create a kink or a flat spot in the middle of the ski as the mold is adjusted.

If you design your mold for zero camber (either all the way through or in the middle) then it is very possible.
- Ben
hafte

Post by hafte »

alta pow skier, I made mine so I can change out the whole center board, which sits on top of the camber form. The ends are solid MDF bolted together and is finger jointed to the camber board. For a pneumatic press you would have to be sure to extend the camber form to the ends of the tip pieces to support the load. I made it this way so that the tip parts would have be stronger (3/4” thick) at the transition to the running length than some of the adjustable tip parts I have seen.

Here is a try with a couple of pictures from my cell phone (read they kind of suck) of my soon to be completed snowboard tool. The center board is not screwed down in the pictures, and the tip is lifted off of the camber form. Everything is bolted together, and the bolts on the camber parts hold the tips in place. The surfaces are glassed and polished for a good seal.

http://home.comcast.net/~mhafte/images/tool2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~mhafte/images/tool1.jpg

I have them a bit over built, but they should last for many pairs of skis. for different length it is just a matter of making a new center board.

Hafte
alta pow skier

Post by alta pow skier »

thanks for the advice hafte
-> leo wrote this <-
alta pow skier

Post by alta pow skier »

thanks for the advice hafte
-> leo wrote this <-