noodle jib board

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

bandit

noodle jib board

Post by bandit »

So I plan on building a super soft jib snowboard and have some questions..
First, I don’t care about the weight of the board, and plan on having a thicker than normal core, made out of softer than normal strips. I’m thinking something along the lines of balsa, aspen, or fir.
Next, I want the board to be torsionally flexible. Most everything I’ve read has hinted at how triaxial fiberglass increases torsional flexibility. Could I go with another fiber pattern to have more torsional flex? Or maybe a lighter fabric?

Basically, what I’m thinking is: thick and soft core, with less supportive fiberglass.

Any input would be awesome
Thanks
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

i thought triaxial fibreglass reduces torsional flex.. not increases it, as the added strand is there going across the ski.

A plain weave with the strands runing up and down the ski (not diagnally across the ski) would have a reduces affect on torsion, thus it would be MORE torsionally flexible.

*triaxial is where the strands are at 0º, +45º, -45º
*plain is where the strands are at 0º, 90º in a traditional weave pattern

glasss will just give you a bit more pop, It doesnt effect stiffness too much, especially if you use plain weave 6oz

i shouldnt have had any thing to drink tonight aye! haha come on here and start ranting about! gotta love it. celebrations are good tho

Schuss
SCHÜSS 2011
bandit

Post by bandit »

sorry, what i meant was
i want the board to be more flexible than normal.
and that triaxial fiberglass makes it stiffer torsionally.

if i use biaxial or plain weave fiberglass, would it be better to have the fibers running up and down + across
or
have them both at 45* angles with respect to the length and width of the board?
hope that made sence
SCHÜSS

Post by SCHÜSS »

just up and across. if you have them at 45º thats going to stiffen the ski up torsionally.

SCHUSS
SCHÜSS 2011