Possible solution for the wavy base?

For discussions related to ski/snowboard construction/design methods and techniques.

Moderators: Head Monkey, kelvin, bigKam, skidesmond, chrismp

rockaukum

Possible solution for the wavy base?

Post by rockaukum »

While working on #2, I used a router to cut the bases. ( #1 I cut with a knife and had no problems.) I noticed after bending and attaching the edges to the bases that the bases were both distorted. After pondering for a while I remembered that others had a simmular problem and there was speculation to why it happened. Problems ranged form defective base material and that heat from the router caused it and also the knife cutting the material released it and caused the distortion.
I figured that it was the heat that caused the distortion on my bases. So a quick trip to the house and a short discussion with the boss (wife), I was out the door headed back to the shop with her hair dryer! I figured that if heat distorted it, then heat will correct it! I marked the center line on the base corresponded it to a straight line on the bench. Starting at one end, I clamped the base so it ligned up with the line on the bench. Where the base is distorted it was up on one side and down tight on the other. I put the hair dryer on high heat and heated the side of the base that was down tight and it quickly raised up (lengthing) therefore straightening the base material. I continused up the base clamping as I went and before I knew it, the base was straingt and clamped to the table. I kept the base clamped and attached the edges in this position. Once the clamps were released the base was straight and has been so for the remainder of the day.
Hope this will help others.
rockaukum